Compare the size of a SILKIE for me

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DouglasPeeps, Jan 29, 2009.

1. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    My children think that silkies are adorable. So my question is......Can you please compare their size? I have heavy breeds - RIR, BO, SLW, etc. Can Silkies be mixed in with these breeds, or would they need their own coop?

2. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a friend that has a flock of about 10-12 birds. Most are LF, but she has 3 silkies that fit right in. They are definitely smaller than the big birds, but larger than a bantam. Somewhere in between! I hope this helps!

3. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:What is LF?

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    LF=large fowl

5. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I have two EE's in my flock. They are significantly smaller than my other hens. I just want to be sure that a Silkie wouldn't be too small. Would I have to worry about my rooster with them? Not sure if this is a No, No, or not.

6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I have 4 silkies and 2 frizzles in the pen with my BO, RIR, BA, and EE's. They all get along just fine and the big birds seem to leave the little ones alone.

7. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Thanks! duh! (saying that to self!) [​IMG]

8. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Oh, I am glad to hear that. Hmmmmmm, maybe I need to get more birds! Sounds like a good excuse to me. [​IMG]

9. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    no problem [​IMG]

10. kobesmom81

kobesmom81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Atwater, CA
    LF= Large fowl

We have American Game fowl and when our little silkies come out they rule the yard. The big birds share their food and their nests with them. One even lays her eggs in one of our roos nests. Keep in mind that if a little Game chick comes up for some food they get chased away, sometimes buy their own fathers! Those silkies could get away with murder and everyone would look the other way! They do have thier own coop though that they share with my little Old English Bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by