Comparing Brinsea Advanced and Hova-Bator 1583 picture window

Day 4.

I peeked into the Hova-Bator instructions and here is what it says: About half way through incubation process, you will note that the temperature will be increasing and you will have to adjust thermostat down nearly one full turn. This is normal and is caused by the embryo forming into a chick and generating heat.

Makes me appreciate fully automatic incubators more.

Setup 1. Brinsea Mini Advance is running like a champ, turning eggs every 30 mins (I wanted to get as close in the interval as the broody quail would).
Setup 2. Hova-Bator Picture window model 1583. I think I got the thermostat stabilized, it floats between 100 and 101 which is good enough for me. Humidity is down to 30% - time to refill one of the water containers. I will try filling #3 to see what humidity it gets me. This bator has 4 water containers, 1 is the largest and 4 is the smallest.

p.s. Looked into Brinsea Maxi II - seems like a really good one. I want to get one, will be seeing when it makes an appearance on Brinsea's US web site.

Last edited:
To Norway they coming in October, first week. I waiting Brinsea maxi II advance and 1brooder, I will post in the forum.

Enviado do meu E6853 através de Tapatalk

Day 5.
Setup 1. Brinsea Mini Advance.
Still running like a champ. All I do around this mini bator is just admire the eggs when they do their little turning dance every 30 mins.
Setup 2. Hova-Bator Picture Window model 1583. Filled reservoir 3 yesterday with water - humidity stays around 35-40%, which is good. One of the quail egg racks broke in the automatic turner (it was flimsy from the beginning and I didn't put any eggs into it). Could be just my luck - I feel this setup arrived in a less then perfect condition to me, despite the fact that I bought it brand new. Going to request RMA because I did not expect it to break from normal operation. 3 dz eggs remain in it and I hope nothing else breaks.

Day 6.
Setup 1. Brinsea Mini Advance.
Refilled water container, it was almost out. Accidentally pushed this bator with my elbow while cleaning the kitchen counter - feeling really bad about this but hoping for the best. Wasn't a big knock but who knows?
Setup 2. Hova-Bator Picture Window model 1583. Temp finally stabilized at 100 F - making only small adjustments here and there.

p.s. Had a "visitor" yesterday to my 2 outdoor cages with 12 quails - a wild fox. Gorgeous creature! My dog gave it a good run, never the less it was back couple times at night. I have a 6 ft fence that it jumps no problems - how do you keep wild life away??? So far I've seen: rat, opossum, skunk, fox. I live close to the state park...

Day 7. Can't believe it's been a week! 1 more week and those little ******** going into a lockdown.
Setup 1. Brinsea Mini Advance. No change since yesterday.
Setup 2. Hova-Bator Picture Window model 1583. Continuing with small gradual thermostat decreases. The temp is not jumping like it was in the beginning. Refilled water container #3 with water. It is a smaller container and needs a refill every 2-3 days. Humidity is at about 45%.

Day 8. This was the first day when I could finally catch a break from babysitting the incubators (sort of) and do some work around the house/shopping. Bough a small LED lantern that I could use to candle the eggs. Will give it a try in the next couple days.
Setup 1. Brinsea Mini Advance. No change since yesterday.
Setup 2. Hova-Bator Picture Window model 1583. Smaller temp adjustments, humidity is at 43%. Happy!

Day 9. Really hot day outside - 96 F. No AC in the house but both incubators running stable.
Setup 1. Brinsea Mini Advance. Refilled water container to maintain humidity.
Setup 2. Hova-Bator Picture Window model 1583. Refilled water container #3. Humidity is at 46%.

Found this picture that more or less closely illustrates embryo development by day. Very informative.

Last edited:
Day 10. Another hot day with 90+ F. Humidity in the house is around 15%, yikes! It'll be even lower in the bators without water.
Setup 1. Brinsea Mini Advance. Topped off water container to maintain humidity. Put a hydrometer to check the humidity level.
Setup 2. Hova-Bator Picture Window model 1583. Added water to container #3, just in case.

Day 11. Pretty much no change since yesterday. Both bators running stable and have enough water in them.
Setup 1. Brinsea Mini Advance. Humidity is around 46%.
Setup 2. Hova-Bator Picture Window model 1583. Have been wiggling the thermostat a bit towards an increase. The temp is around 100 F with a tiny bit below it, so I adjust it towards an increase just to be safe.

You Should have "compared " to the 1588 Genesis. I've never had to adjust the thermostat. Your wording doesn't sound like you are attempting to compare the two so much as you were already sold on the Brinsea and wanted to justify it. (?)

The bottom line that you will find:
If you are lazy, or don't have 5 minutes a day to spare, or money is not an issue, or don't need to hatch many eggs, get the Brinsea it is an awesome and reliable (if not extremely overpriced) bator.

If you don't mind having to fill water every three days, need to hatch more eggs, want to save over 50% of the cost of a Brinsea, then get a Hovabator Genesis 1588 (not the 1583 it has problems) it is an awesome and reliable, inexpensive bator.

Back
Top Bottom