That one is probably going to need assistance and might not make it. It's pipped at the wrong end of the egg.
Oh boy, glad I posted. Okay so they should pip at the wide end? Learning, learning, when would be the sign to intervene?

10 hours in to external pip. Two bottom pics. Start of day 18. You mentioned possible intervention re pip at small end, but wondering if you might share what to look out for to prompt intervention being necessary? Appears to be some small cracking progress but minuscule at this stage. If I go to bed now for the eve should I be checking at all in next 6 hours or chill and let it try? TIA

In other news, another external pip on egg 2/2. 👍
IMG_7481.jpeg

IMG_7476.jpeg
IMG_7478.png

Your second pip looks good.

As for the one pipped at the wrong end, if you see the beak sticking out and it's moving but not making progress, it probably needs help. Be aware that most chicks that have issues hatching are having problems for reasons. It might not make it even with assistance. That's why many people will never assist.

Your second pip looks good.

As for the one pipped at the wrong end, if you see the beak sticking out and it's moving but not making progress, it probably needs help. Be aware that most chicks that have issues hatching are having problems for reasons. It might not make it even with assistance. That's why many people will never assist.
So tricky. Can’t see a beak to date but could see something moving in it last night, and not now 5 hours later 😔 No progress made in that time. Don’t want to jeopardise egg 2 by opening the lid and dropping humidity.

So tricky. Can’t see a beak to date but could see something moving in it last night, and not now 5 hours later 😔 No progress made in that time. Don’t want to jeopardise egg 2 by opening the lid and dropping humidity.
Opening the incubator for a few seconds won't hurt the egg. If no progress has been made in 24 hours after zip, it probably needs assistance.

So curious how this turned out as we have some button quails in incubator and coming up on day 20 with nothing so far. We have candles and looks like 9 out of 10 were viable last week

Day 20 is getting pretty late for buttons. I would candle to see if any are still alive. If they are, it sounds like your incubator's temperature was a bit low.
They ended up hatching later that day lol we had 3 hatch Sunday afternoon and then 5 more Monday morning. So 8 out of the 10 eggs hatched and are thriving and so dang adorable my heart can't stand it

Attachments

• IMG_20240123_201119.jpg
    IMG_20240123_201119.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom