Comparing quail sizes

For Meat Birds I have Dark Brahmas as my favorite and the Brown huge eggs are not bad Either we had a 11 lb girl and 14 lb rooster just found a reputable place that tests for everything and have Ordered new this time not show stock but thats where i got my issue with MG really hurt as my first ones where a gift and show quality he thought as i did that people where careful what they sell , i also had Turkeys on my other place they i got from same show breeder that came sick ,

Be careful and most of all have fun

Excellent thread!! I'm new to the quail biz and only have some local birds right now. I suspect i have too many males cause I only get a couple of eggs a day out of 20 birds. I plan on ordering some eggs from JMF in the near future.

Just finished a phone call with Robbie from JMF, very nice guy and I learned a lot. Very excited about getting my 200 James Marie Pharaoh hatching eggs end of Sept.
how did they turn out? I have some on the way. James was saying these birds lay really large eggs, so just looking for your feedback as to what your experience was with bird size and egg size on the James Marie Pharaoh birds.
thanks!

how did they turn out? I have some on the way. James was saying these birds lay really large eggs, so just looking for your feedback as to what your experience was with bird size and egg size on the James Marie Pharaoh birds.
thanks!

I really like the JMF birds. I only kept 12 hens and 4 Roos out of my 120ish that hatched. The Roos were over 260 grams and the hens over 300 for keepers at 8 weeks. Culled the smallest 1/2 of the males at 6 weeks, then culled again at 8 weeks and hens at 8 weeks. Then over wintered those birds. Just turned my lights on 3 weeks ago to jump start egg production. Getting over an egg a day per hen now and have my first 50 in the bator.
These are so much bigger then my mixed cortunix I had last year. Their eggs are huge, with the only problem being a frequent double yoke. If the egg is over 19 grams it usually has a double yoke, so we just eat those.
Much bigger table birds and will only breed these from now on.

I also prefer the JMF birds, especially for the egg production. They are very large eggs. I have just set my first incubator full of only JMF eggs in order to get a pure JMF F1 pen going as replacements for my original JMF breeders. I have one pen of seven hens that are a mixed F1 from each line but have no way of telling for sure who are JMF or CL so am using them just for egg production.

I will mention I have now lost at least two JMF hens to uterine prolapse and one to a large cystic ovary. I have not had this problem in the CL line but I have fairly small numbers so don't really know if this is significant or not.

I also prefer the JMF birds, especially for the egg production. They are very large eggs. I have just set my first incubator full of only JMF eggs in order to get a pure JMF F1 pen going as replacements for my original JMF breeders. I have one pen of seven hens that are a mixed F1 from each line but have no way of telling for sure who are JMF or CL so am using them just for egg production.

I will mention I have now lost at least two JMF hens to uterine prolapse and one to a large cystic ovary. I have not had this problem in the CL line but I have fairly small numbers so don't really know if this is significant or not.
can you post a picture of an average quail egg and JMF egg - I'm curious as to the significance of the size difference.

can you post a picture of an average quail egg and JMF egg - I'm curious as to the significance of the size difference.

These are some standard eggs with my first JMF eggs that were shipped to me. I was amazed at the size difference so lined then up to compare in this picture. The "standard" eggs were out of mixed birds that were supposed to have a lot of jumbo brown in them but never were "very Jumbo" to me.
The JMF quail eggs will not fit in your standard quail egg cartons, and some are to big for my GQF quail egg hatching trays.

These are some standard eggs with my first JMF eggs that were shipped to me. I was amazed at the size difference so lined then up to compare in this picture. The "standard" eggs were out of mixed birds that were supposed to have a lot of jumbo brown in them but never were "very Jumbo" to me.
The JMF quail eggs will not fit in your standard quail egg cartons, and some are to big for my GQF quail egg hatching trays.
wow, Thanks!

Here is another photo of egg size comparison. The top carton is my old line of quail. The bottom carton is from my JMF and CL lines of birds. You can see the eggs in the bottom carton completely fill the slot while the eggs in the upper carton have much more space around them.

Back
Top Bottom