Compatibility of my New Chicks

andrew3waz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
Hey,

I am wondering if my chicks that I ordered will be okay together. I got 5 Polish Golden Laced (straight run), 5 Buff Orpintons (female), 5 Black Cochin (female), 5 New Hampshire (female) and 5 Ameraucana (female).

Thanks,
andrew3waz

Polish tend to get picked on by other breeds sometimes, but I think having more than one will be good. A single bird that looks that different can have a hard life, but with 5 of them I think you're good. Just make sure you have lots of room for everyone, with things in the coop or run to break line of sight and hide behind if someone has a hard time. 25 birds means at minimum 100 square feet of coop space and 250 square feet of run space. Do you have that much?

ummmm,

I have a 12x7 coop and my run is 30x12. Does the extra run space make up for the lost coop space?

Thanks,
andrew3waz

I'm no expert by any mean but I have read alotnof then post here. If you allow your chickens out I. the winter, either by shoveling the snow or placing traps around to keep the snow from blowing in. Coop space might not be that important it is only 16 ft. Are you planning on keeping the roosters if you get them? I think as long as they have lots to do and plenty of Space to go outside in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom