Compatibility with Red Golden Pheasants.

Quote:
Goldens are fairly compatible with a variety of other species, just ensure that the aviary is large enough so that everyone can have their own "space" and lots of stuff inside to keep them all busy. I've housed them with doves (ringneck & diamond), finches, hookbills, francolin, quail, and waterfowl (at different times, not all those in one aviary
wink.png
). My wife even had them with Demoiselle Cranes!

Dan

Thanks Dan,

The pen I'm considering is 12 x 30. I was interested in doves which you have mentioned. What kind of finches. I'm in SE Ohio and the weather can get cool. Any input on the height of the pen? What kind of 'housing' needs do the doves require. Thanks again.

Quote:
The aviary sounds like a great size and you shouldn't have any problems!!

Regarding Diamond Doves & finches (doesn't apply to the larger and hardier Ringneck Doves), you will need ensure that the mesh is no bigger than 1/2" or they will escape. I used hard-ware cloth on my finch aviaries. Also prevents snakes large enough to eat them from entering as well. SE Ohio is probably pretty close to western MO in climate and I place the finches in smaller pens inside the barn with heat lamps. Finch species include cordons, waxbills, weavers, and just got a pair of zebras for foster parents. Last year, I didn't pull them out of the big aviary until Thanksgiving, but every year is different!! I do have a heat lamp in their outdoor aviary and lots of buses and tufts of grasses for them "burrow-in" and keep warm. Don't trust it though when the temps stay in the 30s during the day though.

Dan

mt pens are 6ft i keep ringneck doves with my reds-yellow-ladys pheasants my pens are 20x25 with a 6x6 building i keep 4 pheasants and 5-6 doves in them with plenty of room

My pheasants are in with my chickens, peafowl, ducks, they usually don't bother anyone. But, there are a couple of chickens that they pick on.

Make sure you have more than one female, they can get pretty ruff.

Sarree

Thanks Everyone to date! I see I have lots to learn!
big_smile.png
Kenny671 - thanks for the info on the pen height. I'm planning on going a little higher - around 9 feet. Do the doves like to fly around? I'm leaning more toward the doves, than peafowl at the moment. Sarree, I find it interesting you have peafowl, ducks and chickens together. I like that idea. How about the 'net' size over the top of the pens or aviary? Any comments? I was just at the Columbus Zoo and saw the red goldens there along with the ring neck pheasants. The mesh opening looked about two inches and sparrows were flying in and out feeding.
lol.png

I have quite a minagere, I must admit. I use chicken wire on the top of my pens, that works fine.

There has been occasion were a dove would get out of the pen, so I would secure everyone in seperate pens and leave the main pen open and the dove would return.

I also, have sparrows flying in and out. It would be very costly to buy fencing to prevent this.

If you live near Akron Ohio, I will give you some of my doves, I have to many.

Sarree

Back
Top Bottom