Compatible breeds ? PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by toddy111, Jan 3, 2009.

1. toddy111

toddy111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I would like to know if all breeds of hen are compatible with eachother? Are there any notorious "enemies"? I would paticulally like to know if "Light sussex" and "warrens" would be OK together. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks in advance !!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Hey I saw Manchester England on TV tonight !!!! Looked cool !!

Anyway, sorry to get off track.... Most standards breeds will be fine with other standard breeds. All chickens when first put together will have to figure out there pecking order.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    The "Warren" is a Sex-link in the UK as best as I understand.

The Sussex seems to me to be such a laid-back type that I would be surprised if it causes any real problems in the hen yard. But, my brother was the guy with the Sussex, not me. Surely it is quite a bit larger than the Warrens.

Steve [​IMG]

4. TreeFever

TreeFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    MA
    Some of the dopier breeds like the Polish seem to do better on their own or with really chill birds.
    Little banties can be firecrackers and hold their own against big hens or they might get beaten.
    Somebody will always be on the bottom no matter what kind of hens you have.

5. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it depends more on how they're handled than the breed for the most part. I had some lady tell me she would never again raise Orps because they were too mean. My Orps have never given me a bit of trouble-they're certainly not afraid of anything but mean? Never. Keep 'em happy, feed them well, give them plenty of room and nice nesting boxes and they have no reason to fight.

6. toddy111

thanks everyone !!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If the sex-link crosses you have are like ours here, I don't think you'll have a problem.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They all have to establish their pecking order.

9. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I have warrens too and they are fairly accepting of new additions once they have established their pecking order. Just make sure you introduce more than one so they have safety in numbers and remember to quarantine first.

10. toddy111

Quote:thanks !!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by