Competing Roosters Results in Death

LilMissChz

Songster
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
North East, Maryland
No, they didn't kill each other. Yet. It would have gotten to that eventually. They were competing for everything, including crowing. They even began to fight with the family dog. That was it, that's the act that sealed their fate. Not the incessant crowing from dawn til dusk. Not the horrid growling that the birds had started. Not even the giant poop that covered my deck. It was the dog.

So we made the decision to dispatch of the birds and just keep the hens. We had originally decided to simply cull one. But then the OTHER rooster attacked the dog. So... how to do it? I'm a complete novice. I've never had to kill a bird before. We thought hatchet and my husband set off in search of it. Couldn't come up with a hatchet, but did find my son's machete. We waited until they took to roost and then, me wearing gloves, grabbed one bird (at a time) and carried it by feet & neck to their impending doom. My husband used the machete. The first, larger bird took three whacks to be sure, it was dead... as they move A LOT after death. Then the second, smaller bird only took one whack. It was instantaneous.

My neighbors have thanked me and I discovered another dog that had been chased by the rooster. Next batch of hatchlings???? Kill the roosters sooner. Yep, would have saved a lot of heartache.

old.gif
You know what this means? The NEXT step! Learning to process em'. You just did the hardest part; learning to process is alot easier and homegrown chicken tastes 100 xs better than store bought. (just teasing, but seriously they do taste better)

Sorry the boys did not work out, sometimes it just goes that way. On the bright side, your hens and dog are much happier now.
wink.png

As mentioned I'm sure you're going to see a happier flock now that they are gone. It's just something we have to do from time to time. I'm actually facing that now. I have three buff orpington roosters. Recently bought a few Rhode Island Reds that was suppose to all be pullets. I'm fearing one or maybe both might be young cockerels too. I've tried first selling, then giving away both of the BO's but no takers yet. What to do?

As mentioned I'm sure you're going to see a happier flock now that they are gone. It's just something we have to do from time to time. I'm actually facing that now. I have three buff orpington roosters. Recently bought a few Rhode Island Reds that was suppose to all be pullets. I'm fearing one or maybe both might be young cockerels too. I've tried first selling, then giving away both of the BO's but no takers yet. What to do?
I know a guy who puts them on Craigslist and sells them for $5 bucks.. That is where I am taking my boys.... I was going to post them myself but the hubby was not comfortable with me meeting strangers even in a parking lot to sell roosters. But it works for him all the time.

I just took 6 roos to auction this past week. 1. Because they were harassing the pullets so much the pullets would hide in the barn with the cows all day til roosting time. And the roos would still be a pain. I know that is what the roos are suppose to do, but it was getting on my nerves and my hubbys. 2. They were starting to fight each other. 3. My flock are free ranging and i didn't want anyone or myself being the first to get a rooster attack. I did keep one silkie roos to keep the one silkie pullet company and it has worked.

Back
Top Bottom