Complete feed for 'treats'?

Most likely they will. I can toss rocks and they investigate.
Yup, anything I toss that's relatively small they'll chase down, thinking it's food, i.e. if I chuck a handful of coop bedding into the run they all get excited. Nothing like the disappointment on their faces when I toss something that's not food.

Yes. I feed all flock pellets in a regular feeder. But will use Kalmbach Henhouse Reserve as “scratch”. It looks like scratch bc it has whole grains plus nutritional pellets.

Otherwise, In the heat of the summer, I’ll put regular feed into pans, add water, let hydrate, mix. At this point I have a pan of what looks like thick batter that the girls love. But it’s hot, so I add ice cubes, then sprinkle the henhouse reserve on top as a treat. In winter, I do same with hot water instead of ice cubes, and give them a little less bc it will freeze before too long, so I want them to eat it all.

I can't wait to start throwing around goodies now! Does anyone have a recommended age when chicks can safely eat the pellet form?

I love the wet mash idea too - that will definitely be my go-to extra treat especially in weather extremes.

I can't wait to start throwing around goodies now! Does anyone have a recommended age when chicks can safely eat the pellet form?
Depends on the size of the pellets (there's micro pellets all the way up to quite sizable ones) and the size of the bird, but I'd say roughly around 6-8 weeks they're plenty big enough to eat pellets without issue - that's also when I switch to larger grit.

Depends on the size of the pellets (there's micro pellets all the way up to quite sizable ones) and the size of the bird, but I'd say roughly around 6-8 weeks they're plenty big enough to eat pellets without issue - that's also when I switch to larger grit.
Perfect, thank you so much!
When, despite having their own chick crumble in their integration pen escape zone they're jumping up on the hens' feeder to sample the pellets. :D
I love that! :clap I'm already excited for a second batch of chicks now!

Back
Top Bottom