Complete loss

Frankiethepolish

Hatching
Nov 11, 2020
Something came through and killed our chickens today. We allow them to free range, and they go to their enclosed coop during the evening. From about 10:00Am-4:30 PM they can roam.
We think it was a coyote, however all the birds were slaughtered and not eaten! We are only missing one, and the other 8 are dead. Would a coyote do this? Kill then leave?

Welcome!
I'm so sorry for your losses, truly awful. Where are you located? What kind of yard do you have? fencing?
Without more information, a canine is a good guess. Dog, coyote, or fox, all would do this. Bite wounds on the birds? You can estimate the size of the predator by the distance between the canines sometimes. Tracks left, or tufts of hair?
Set up a game camera if possible, and a big live trap, baited with a carcass, if you can. It's possible to get lucky!
Did your neighbors notice anything? At least ask.
And set up a safe run and coop for your birds, use electric fencing, what ever it takes to never have a repeat!
Mary

Last edited:
Hello, thank you for the reply. We are in Washington state. They have a fenced yard, but we are in a rural area. It’s a typical farm fence, 5 feet tall wire with wood posts. Most of the birds were in one area. There were a few birds that were found farther away. One bird was headless, and most others just looked killed. There were feathers near the fence line, like something carried them off. But like I said, only one is missing, the rest are just dead.

Your predator may come back for bodies, tomorrow or the next day. Have a camera set up, or that live trap. If you can, sit there with your gun, you might get lucky!
Here we had a fox kill ten hens one day, seen by a visitor at the neighbor's. That fox returned the next day, and we saw him but couldn't get a safe shot.
I drove to the neighbor's within about a half mile to let them know, and within a mile to neighbors who had poultry. One of them got him the following week, fortunately. Almost a mile from our place! It was a sick, nearly bald, mangy fox, so easy to ID.
If it's an owned dog, the owners owe you. Get photos of your birds too.
Again, I'm so sorry!
Mary

:welcome :frow It could have been most any predator. Probably a fox or coyote. If you have a game camera, put it up because most likely the predator has been lurking looking for an opportunity and found one and will be back and then you will know what you are dealing with and can form a plan. Good luck...

I did think about bobcats but here they mostly roam at night. This is a bobcat the other night next to my chick/grow-out coop. Again, good luck...
DSCF0002112 01Rev.jpg
DSCF0002112 09Rev.jpg

Back
Top Bottom