Completely New to Turkeys

I personally start my poults in my brooder with shavings, that are covered w a non slip mat that is cut to exactly for the bottom of the brooder (like you would put under an area rug)..... because I usually hatch out ducklings and poults at the same time and ducklings are waaaayyyy too messy for puppy pads 😂

I do provide chick grit from the beginning, usually beginning in a small cheap ceramic kitten dish, and moving to a “tapered side” style stainless bowl as they grow (I have several different sizes, but I raise a lot of poults!)

I also tend to put the poults we intend to keep - outside within 2-3 days of hatching (weather permitting) - as soon as I can see everyone eating and drinking well.
Our outdoor brooder is well protected from wind and weather, has a “mommas heating pad”, and I have occasionally used a supplemental heat lamp if needed.

I have one of the digital remote thermometers out there as well, so, the “sender”/ base is tucked under the “dome” of the heating pad set up, and I can check the temps when I’m worrying about them in the middle of the night without going to fuss w them 😂

I also always start my poults on Game Bird Starter crumbles.

The best tip I can offer for the poults is-
Either marbles, or those sort of flat, iridescent stones (like you might put in a vase) added to their waterer.

You still need to show them (one at a time as you move them from the shipping box) where the water is.
But the shiny stones (like, 5 or 6 or so for the baby waterer) will catch their attention, and they will drink while they are trying to peck at them.
I usually leave the shiny stones in there for the first two weeks or so.

Attachments

• 211B817A-0BEB-48AC-8403-0EDFDA0741E8.jpeg
    211B817A-0BEB-48AC-8403-0EDFDA0741E8.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 3
  • C6C3CA11-0373-473E-AF8B-F48431EFC3AB.jpeg
    C6C3CA11-0373-473E-AF8B-F48431EFC3AB.jpeg
    751.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Oh and. I really like the Quik Chik that Murray McMurray sells as an electrolyte/ vitamin supplement for the newbies.

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/quik_chik.html

They sell it separately on their web site
If anyone else knows of something similar that I might be able to find locally, please chime in!
But I’ve not found anything very close to this balance. They will ship w babies if you order from them, or ship separately if you are ordering elsewhere.

I also tend to put the poults we intend to keep - outside within 2-3 days of hatching (weather permitting) - as soon as I can see everyone eating and drinking well.
Our outdoor brooder is well protected from wind and weather, has a “mommas heating pad”, and I have occasionally used a supplemental heat lamp if needed.
Thank you for the great information!

We will likely start with them in the outdoor brooder, to avoid imprinting, but with a baby monitor and a video camera so I can keep an eye on them in the night, because I am a nervous mother hen, lol. The only other place for them would be in my office, and they would then, have my presence and voice all day and while I would love that, I trust that it could be a bad thing. but we will make sure that they are eating and drinking before sticking them out there and I will definitely use the marble trick to get them interested in the water.

They are coming in June, so it is quite warm here and I think that a brooder heater will be sufficient to keep them comfortable and healthy. Once they are fully feathered, the will have the run of their own run, to get their little feet on the grass as soon as possible.

We are starting construction in the next 3-4 weeks. We are also expanding the chicken run, and building some chicken proof planters in their run, so we will build some for the the turkey space too.

If anyone else knows of something similar that I might be able to find locally, please chime in!
We use Chewy and Tractor Supply a lot, and you can get this one from either, but the McMurray's looks to be better priced.

https://www.chewy.com/sav-caf-sav-chick-electrolyte-vitamin/dp/315936

We used it when the first arrived, for a few weeks, and again in the summer, when it got hot.

I like to keep poultry nutri-drench on hand at all times. I use it for a quick boost for all my poults/hatchlings for first day or so, and very good for any bird that's off or sickly to give them a quick boost. I also use Avian Super Pack international for a source of vitamins and electrolytes in times of stress/molting/illness for all my birds.

I also have a 4’ high “dog pen”
Mine has 10 panels but this is the closest I can find quickly
https://www.amazon.com/New-World-Pe...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc
I use it for acclimating babies to “pasture” as soon as wing feathers are starting to come in (although I do have to add hardware cloth to the outside of the panels for poults/ ducklings, they can fit through the openings)/ new birds/ introductions as a see: no touch option, and you don’t have to open it all the way up- so it can also be a good option for a quarantine pen or introduction pen even if for one or two birds.

I put cardboard over the top (w a board over the cardboard to keep it in place) for the baby turkeys to keep them in, and put them close to the outdoor brooder and also close to the house - so I can hear them if there is a problem.

I am often raising additional poults and ducklings to keep our laying flocks rolling, so, it may/ may not be a worthwhile addition to your “tool kit”
😊

I am often raising additional poults and ducklings to keep our laying flocks rolling, so, it may/ may not be a worthwhile addition to your “tool kit”
I can see that being a good option for mom and babies (both chicken and turkey) to give them time out side to socialize with the rest of the tribe when they are still too small to integrate! Thank you!

I think getting the babies out on the grass as soon as mom is ready, will be healthier for them. Mamma bird knows best. :)

Back
Top Bottom