Completely Self sufficient systems

Where I live it is land in the mountains that grows grass, clean water year round from a river, and banana plants which in turn sustain cows, pigs, chickens, geese, ducks, horses, turkeys, mules, other avian species, rabbits, dogs, cats, and every other creature. Tropical weather plays a role. But you cannot remove man from that.

If you remove the bananas, take away the pigs, because that is how they are sustained. But bananas are a very self sustained plant, bananas and monkeys for example would be able to entirely exist seperate.

Any self sustained system relies on clean water.

Where I live it is land in the mountains that grows grass, clean water year round from a river, and banana plants which in turn sustain cows, pigs, chickens, geese, ducks, horses, turkeys, mules, other avian species, rabbits, dogs, cats, and every other creature. Tropical weather plays a role. But you cannot remove man from that.

If you remove the bananas, take away the pigs, because that is how they are sustained. But they are a very self sustained plant.

Any self sustained system relies on clean water.
That's epic, it's not tropical where I am but I find it interesting to learn of work with different climates, from beach, desert an tropics. I am in the Alps, mountains clear rivers, forests, snow at times higher up. It's just not tropical tho and a banana tree would not grow here.

Have both of these systems going on our property. However we buy chicken feed.View attachment 2870747
I still utilize feed to keep them focused on the farmyard. Otherwise they’d be all over the woods foraging and congregating around deer feeders. I only feed a few handfuls a day spread out between 50 head or more.

Anyone experienced with dams? theres four on the property, one is broken and flows down the property creating a little creek of sorts, many frogs, the thing about having cows walking around ever where is they can mess up dams , and poo in them. Theres turtles and yabbies (that's a small type of cray fish) in there, and there is some fish but not many because there has been strange splashes here an there, and a half eaten fish was found a short distance from one of the dams most likely by a bird of some sorts.. theres potential but haven't done anything with em. Also an actual river flowing here too through the land.

Last edited:
Anyone experienced with dams? ...
A little. I have one embankment pond that I have been trying to save. It had many decades of neglect before I got it. And I learned some when the neighbors dam failed.

We fenced the cows out of the pond. They watered in the creek under where the overflow pipe dischanges.

What do you want to know.

A little. I have one embankment pond that I have been trying to save. It had many decades of neglect before I got it. And I learned some when the neighbors dam failed.

We fenced the cows out of the pond. They watered in the creek under where the overflow pipe dischanges.

What do you want to know.
Just any cool stuff ppl have done. Good plants to plant around them, animals to put in, create habitat, water info ect... I actually made a small pdf file of info I gathered about dams I already have stuff written in there if I find it I'll post it here if I can..
Here in the US we can get advice on farm ponds and dams from the state Ag agency. Do you have Ag Agencies in Australia?

Here's North Carolina's online link: https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/pond-management-guide
Yes we do I'm pritty sure. Thanks.

I wish so much that we had water on this land. A few years ago we'd looked at a place where there was a pond and we had visions of ducks.

We're not into the daily management of duck water via the manual filling/draining of a pool.
Same. We've tried for a well 4 or 5 times here and nadda. Only plot on the valley that can't find water.

On the bright side, if we suddenly can't use electricity (but still have everything else) my pheonixes can keep us flossed with chicken dinners by hatching 😅

Same. We've tried for a well 4 or 5 times here and nadda. Only plot on the valley that can't find water.

On the bright side, if we suddenly can't use electricity (but still have everything else) my pheonixes can keep us flossed with chicken dinners by hatching 😅

I have a well, but it's the daily labor of managing the pool and the disposal of the dirty water we don't want to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom