Completely stumped as to why my chickens are losing feathers

Wilco

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
I have 11 chickens, three New Hampshire Reds, three rock bars and four astrolorps. The Reds are perfectly fine looking.

The rock bars lost some feathers around their vent/butt which i thought was molting, but have not grown back.

The astrolorps though, they look terrible. They are missing feather from all over their necks, backs, butts...

I first thought it ws mites, so I bought some food grade DE and put that in their coop every couple days for a couple weeks. That didn't help. I looked for mites, nothing.

I thought maybe it was protein, but we are feeding them their regular ration of chicken food, plus I make them eggs three times a week.

Their coop is plenty big for them and has more than enough space. They should not be stressed out as our dogs do not mess with them (even when the chickens are out in the yard, they all hang out), and the coop is completely sealed from any form of predator.....

They are all laying eggs, so it doesn't seem like they are sick....

Any ideas? I am at a total loss, and really want them to be healthy...and healthy looking.

Check for mites or lice. It could also be molting. I have 3 girls that are molting right now and look a mess. Their feathers are finally starting to grow back.

And I thought we were the only ones. i think my BR molted a while back but the feathers have not grown back. We have also dusted now a few more are losing the feathers. Is this normal and if so when do they grown the feathers back? One of mine is almost naked!!

Yes, it is odd. The Reds look perfect, the rock bars are so so and the blacks look terrible. I looked for any creepy crawlies on them and found nothing. If it was mites, wouldn't ALL of the chickens look terrible?

Me too! Its only one and mine are molting as well but none of the others are having a problem so I do not think that its lice. Any ssuggestions?

Back
Top Bottom