Completly depressed

Oh Katelyn....
hit.gif
I am so very sorry. :aww Darned those coyotes.!! :thun I hope you was able to "take care" of them. UGH! If not, they will be back. DEFINATELY, get some electric fencing.

Not sure how much it will help, but from the hunter side of it I know that coyotes are very leary of a heavy human scent. Not sure how you could go about it but that might help. Hope there was some lead poisoning before it was all over!!!

Everyone is inside the house now! I am redoing the coop and try to make it more safe. I cant bare to loose anymore. The babies were only about a month too
sad.png

They pushed in the door to get in. The bigger chickens got in the nest box, but the little ones couldnt get there in time.

I shot towards them with my 4-10 dont know if it did anything. Hopefully scared them.

I am just so upset, those were the sweetest things, and they were so GORGEOUS! I was so proud of them, and already getting them ready to show, and than like that their gone.

Thanks everyone, it really helps a lot!

Thats my worst fear.I dont even leave Baily"the lab" outside at night cuz of the yutes.You need to double up the area.I found the 1*1 wire fencing is the best with another layer of chx wire on the outside.I placed some wore cloth on the perimeter of the woodline.Everyonce in a while I will change them with new ones.They do not like the human scent.Lights also discourage them.If you have power in the coop,a motion sensor light will give ya a chance to at least scare them or get a better shot of at those bastards!:mad:

Coyotes are smart, they learn fast. So you have to keep changing your tactics. Some tricks are pretty nasty. Leave some raw meat soaked in anti freeze out for them. Just make sure you have your animals locked up while the poison is out.

Another trick is to find a dog with distemper, and have him contaminate the bait. Coyotes are not vaccinated. This works well because they carry the disease back to the rest of the pack.

Rufus

firstly that sucks about your girls im sorry that happened to you and to them. We do what we can to make our coop/runs a fortress but at the end of the day we are HOPING to keep the predators out and nothing is 100% safe.

Funny..i moved here from New Zealand about 3 years ago and had never seen a predatory animal save for lions etc at the zoo ( NZ has no predators that could harm a human...maybe a ferret/feral cat/rat could harm a chicken but nothing that could harm a child/adult, not even any poisonous spiders and there are no snakes in NZ). Since being here i have seen personally fox/skunk/raccoons ( i freakin hate those lil mongrels!)/coyotes/hawks/eagles/falcons and SNAKES!!!!!!!! ( ok it was less than a foot long and about as fat as my finger but it was still a snake and i had never seen one before and i just about shat myself!)
The other night there was a pack of coyote here in Rochester howling at one another and then next thing i hear is all the neighbours calling their cats and dogs indoors. Are these coyotes protected? How are there so many of them? Why are they not hunted and killed as a potential threat to kids and livestock?

First off, I'm so sorry to hear about your babies. Coyotes are a big fear of mine.
sad.png

Here in Western PA, I believe the wonderful forward thinking game commission re-introduced coyotes in small numbers to try to help control the exploding whitetail population. Idiots. We have a terrible time with them. ALL of our animals all locked up tight at night, from chickens to kittens, and I know if a pack were determined, they'd get them all.

Our local game commission has given us free reign on shooting the yotes, but we can never seem to get a good shot at them. They are always *just* out of sight, you know?

Jess

Thanks everyone for your support it helps alot. We called Fish and Game and they are going to come out and see if they can take them to a sancturay. My dad says he saw one yesturday, and it was the fastest $50 he ever saw, lol.

Aran, you are in NY. I am in Fonda, about 3 hours from you!

Back
Top Bottom