Completly lost 2

Hi,
Does she still have the Marans? She didn't by chance get them from Hornpipe Marans did she?
Thanks,
Karen

No she moved to New Orleans and sold her flock to a neighbor, but those were some of the best chickens we had ever had. I have one Cuckoo Marans in my flock now and she's a reliable layer and a good tempered hen but kind of ugly, God bless her. My mom doesn't remember the name of the place but she did remember they were pricey, at least for the time. I'm thinking of getting some Marans eggs after I hatch out these ducks tho. Maybe I should look them up!

Well....i guess its day 13ish. (Havent checked the calendar) I candled the eggs tonight and found 6 quiters. Down to 47 with a week to go

1602N. I know quite a few that have used that bator.
My "borrowed" LG's heating element was going, and I wanted the picture window and more stability of the Hovabator. The LG kept me up at night checking temps. With this thing I sleep like a baby. It's so nice to have a bator that holds a steady temp.

I see your point. I've had 2 incubator related nightmares so far and I'm only on day 7.

Eggs are starting to make a little body heat. Found the bator at 104 this morning.... i really need to get off my but and build a cabinet

Well its lockdown time. Found another quiter. I think that brings the total to 45 left. I have only added water once and it took the bator up to 30% rh, but i have seen alot of smaller than expected air sacks. Maybe if i dont get carried away on lockdown rh they will be ok???

I filled the reservoirs andd added 4 baby food jars of water. No paper towels or sponges this time to increase surface area

Fingers crossed

I started hatching 2 1/2 years ago with a turner, on my third hatch I switched to hand turning and have been ever since. I feel it's better for them. And that's a full bator! Lol You go!

Why do you feel it's better? I have a tiny bator (holds 7 w/ turner) but I could have fit 9 if I hand turned! Just curious as to pros and cons if I decided to hand turn in a future hatch...

Power outage! Its 95°f in the bator and dropping. Power isnt likely to be restored very soon because of our rural location. Two and a half weeks of my life that ill never get back.

3 hours without electricity. Temp dropped to 88 and is rapidly coming up. Im gonna let it ride and see if any hatch

Well its lockdown time. Found another quiter. I think that brings the total to 45 left. I have only added water once and it took the bator up to 30% rh, but i have seen alot of smaller than expected air sacks. Maybe if i dont get carried away on lockdown rh they will be ok???

I filled the reservoirs andd added 4 baby food jars of water. No paper towels or sponges this time to increase surface area

Fingers crossed

Good luck! After lockdown-before hatch, the air cell draws down significantly so they will probably be ok.

Why do you feel it's better? I have a tiny bator (holds 7 w/ turner) but I could have fit 9 if I hand turned! Just curious as to pros and cons if I decided to hand turn in a future hatch...

Well with the bigger bator turners, the turner's motor gives off significant heat. The corner that the motor was in was showing a two degree difference and when I had a full turner the eggs in that corner progressed at an excellerated rate and then would quit 3-5 days in. But overall, I think laying down and hand turning is more natural and gentle on the eggs. I found a slight increase in my hatch rate after I switched. It could be coincidence, sure, but I've never gone back to using a turner since.

Power outage! Its 95°f in the bator and dropping. Power isnt likely to be restored very soon because of our rural location. Two and a half weeks of my life that ill never get back.

3 hours without electricity. Temp dropped to 88 and is rapidly coming up. Im gonna let it ride and see if any hatch

3 hours, this late in the game, air temp only getting down to 88, yeah, you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom