Composite decking?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Justanother Brooke, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Justanother Brooke

Justanother Brooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    Has anyone used this in their coop? A lady I work with gave us a HUGE amount of 2x6's, mostly 8 foot lengths when she re-did her deck last year. I can't think of any reason it would be bad for the chickens, but wanted to know if anyone knew of any drawbacks. Or, if you have used it, how?
    We are attempting to build an 8x8 coop using as many recycled/freebie/cheap materials as we can. [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

ZERO drawbacks!! use it! in any way you can. building animal housing using new materials is absurd. I'm currently stockpiling used materials for my coop expansion [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  3. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    I can't think of any drawbacks, at all. Composite lumber would make a great coop. Won't rot like regular lumber, either! Congrats on the gift!

4. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I disagree... it would be really bad... you should ship it to me... my address is :

Nah - that would be great! Wish I could get gifts like that!

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    No reason I can think of.

6. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    Quote:x2!

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I use a strip all the way around the base of the coops I build to sell. Stuff never rots and keeps the wood from ground contact.
    Great find! [​IMG]

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    The only thing I can think of (and this applies to treated wood, too) is to clean up any sawdust from cutting the lumber from any place your chickens can get to. You wouldn't want them pecking at and consuming a lot of sawdust.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It is not a good structural material at all. WAY too bendy. Only works for decks because there is so little space between joists -- and even so, you can't stretch the joists out as much as you can with 2" wood deck boards.

Use it for a deck, or trade it to someone who wants to build a deck for something useful in exchange.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by