Compost Basket

TillinWithMyPeeps

Waiting for Spring...
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Ohio
Does anyone keep a small bin or basket in the kitchen for the compost, emptying it outside in the big bin every couple of days or so? I wanted to cut down the amount of trash that I throw away, and thought that if there was a more convenient basket in the kitchen, I may be able to do so.

Does anyone else do this? Are there any problems associated with it?

Most of my apple peelings, fruit cores w/o seeds, etc. go to my chickens or the wild birds but when I let something get WAY bad (like the bag of frozen corn I was defrosting for the inside birds before we went out of town, and it got pushed to the back of the frig & soured before we got back b/c my niece didn't see it), it goes in the compost heap. If something is soured or smells weird, I figure if it's not good for me, it might not be good for them. The only problem with the scrap bucket is that sometimes in the VERY warm weather it may need to be emptied & rinse at least a couple of times daily to prevent gnats from gathering.

Back in the olden days, 100 years bc (before chickens), when my kids still lived here I kept a scrap bucket under my sink. In fact I believe my Mom still does. Anyway, I used an empty ice cream bucket with the lid. It worked great, even in summer, and bugs were not a problem. Now I just leave a bowl on the side of the sink and take scraps out to the chickens every time it gets full enough.

I use one of those plastic coffee cans with a lid. At the very least, it gets all the coffee grounds, but I do put other stuff in there, too. Onion peels and such. Very handy. Easy to rinse out after I dump it, too.

Quote:
Thanks, I had a metal coffee can with lid laying around, and, I decided to use that.

One step closer to cutting down the amount of trash I throw away.
smile.png

Cool! Glad I could help.

I like the plastic cans because they have a little handle on them. You can use them for all sorts of things. I have 2 of them out in the chicken run. They are poop cans. I clean the poop out from under the roosts every morning, with a garden trowel and cat litter pooper scooper, dump it into the poop cans, and carry them to composter. Our garden soil is really improving since we got the chickens!

I guess I just revealed myself as slightly obsessive about the chicken poop! It barely hits the ground before I scoop it up!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom