Compost dead chicken

jmorriso

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Not sure where to post this, but I had a hawk get one of mine girls today. Can I bury whats left at the bottom of my compost pile, or is that a no no?

Agree with the PP. They can be composted, but it might bring in scavenger type predators (possums especially)

I bury the pet birds near the coop and put a brick over it, but we don't have too bad of a pred problem in our yard - probably because of the dogs. I usually let the dogs snif the dead bird, they know the birds are family and they seem to understand death, the dogs have not dug up a chicken either.
Some of the roos that live out at my in-laws in the sticks that predators got, I left them laying out coz I couldn't retreive them due to the fire ants and I think possums took them by the next day.
I usually dump dead preds off the road near the sewage treatment plant (away from houses obviously) and scavengers usually take care of them too.

Thanks, I'm not worried about ground predators, I have a raised coop that locks up tight, so I'll go ahead and compost it. Maybe if I get it deep enough the smell will be minimal. When I process deer or chickens I usually toss the guts and bones in a ravine beside the house and it's always gone by the by the next day. I know i've got coons, cyotes and possums all around. I found a baby possum under my coop eating from the feeder a week ago. It was small enough to squeeze throu th chicken wire!

After all the good service a hen has given me I couldn't just treat it like garbage. There is nothing wrong with composting it, me I would bury it. far back from the coop. But on the other hand I just drag or carry predators out back and just give 'em a heave. Funny how everyone's mind works in different.

Back
Top Bottom