Compost in central va

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bigchrisb1985, Nov 18, 2010.

1. bigchrisb1985

bigchrisb1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Brookneal, VA
    I am wanting to do a large raised bed garden next year and was wondering if anyone knows a place to get compost by the truck load relitivly cheap? I live in campbell co va, the closer the better. Thanks

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Some cities now offer composted yard waste for free or a low fee. I would call the city first.Our city unfortunately takes all the compost for themselves!

Other than that I would recommend digging holes and dumping waste in the bed every few days.Layer the bed with leaves,grass,and poo. I had an area that I piled high just with leaves,and in the spring it was a bed ready for planting. I noticed my elderly neighbors digging their scraps in their garden in the fall/winter,so I started doing that too.

I think you could probably take the leaves that people leave bagged at their drive.

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I get manure free from craigslist. Then compost it myself. IT takes 4 - 6 months to compost manure to the point that it can be added to the garden.

I WATCH for ads that say - - - have tractor and will load.
    That way, I only have to shovel it ONCE - - to unload only! [​IMG]

I have a set of pallets wired together that form my compost bin. I wet the manure and cover the it with a scrap pieve of tin. Then let nature do its thing. I use to go out there and turn it every couple of weeks, but I don't have the time or energy for that now. It takes about twice the time to compost if you don't turn it ( around 6 - 8 months).

4. bigchrisb1985

bigchrisb1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Brookneal, VA
    Thanks

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I usually use Scotts in on Graves Mill Rd in Forest for bulk loads; they charge by the scoop and 1 or 2 scoops will usually fill the back of DH's truck. I don't remember offhand how much they charge per scoop for ready-to-use compost. You might want to give them a call.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by