Compost pile thread!!!

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
This is a thread for all the one's who have a compost pile. Post pics of your pile/turner and share what things you put in or tips or anything you want to add!! I put the rabbit droppings/chicken coop poop,bedding/cut grass/leaves/coffee grounds/pour left over coffee over it/any soft shell eggs/and more yard or animal matter and there's never any scraps cause it all goes to the animals haha.

compost my chicken and hay from my coop by piling it up. Will stop adding to my pile around Nov Dec, then add it to my above ground vegetables March April. I will add a few oak leaves during fall but not that many. Was just wondering if anyone makes compost tea out of there's?

If you have chickens you need to compost...such good stuff to give you a rich soil amendment.

Her's our compost - 3 bins at different stages - right next to the coop and run:

These are some of my garden helpers. This was a big mountain of garden waste last fall and they have reduced it to nothing. I have always composted and piles can sit for years not doing much. Toss in a few chickens and they have it worked down to rich soil in a few months with no additional labor on your part. You really don't have to do anything fancy to compost with chickens. Just dump it on the ground where they can get to it and they'll do the rest.

I just got my first 12 chickens and I want to start using there waste in my garden next year and was wondering if the hay I put in the coop for bedding would brake down in a compost with all the chicken waste? And about how long it will take to brake it all down as compost fertilize for my garden? Any suggestions will be helpful thanks!

I just got my first 12 chickens and I want to start using there waste in my garden next year and was wondering if the hay I put in the coop for bedding would brake down in a compost with all the chicken waste? And about how long it will take to brake it all down as compost fertilize for my garden? Any suggestions will be helpful thanks!
Yes you can put hay in your compost(pretty much anything that will brake down that's natural or food wise) and it takes different times for things to brake down depending on the size of the pile,how much it gets mixed/flipped,water content,and different things that's in it. It just depends on a few things. But congrats on your first chickens you'll see that you'll 99% want to get more and more breeds of chickens...take care!

Thanks for the help I'll be trying out new things in my compost over the next year to see what works best in my garden. I have already started looking at all the different breeds and wanting more!

Back
Top Bottom