Compost pile thread!!!

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
This is a thread for all the one's who have a compost pile. Post pics of your pile/turner and share what things you put in or tips or anything you want to add!! I put the rabbit droppings/chicken coop poop,bedding/cut grass/leaves/coffee grounds/pour left over coffee over it/any soft shell eggs/and more yard or animal matter and there's never any scraps cause it all goes to the animals haha.

compost my chicken and hay from my coop by piling it up. Will stop adding to my pile around Nov Dec, then add it to my above ground vegetables March April. I will add a few oak leaves during fall but not that many. Was just wondering if anyone makes compost tea out of there's?

I just got my first 12 chickens and I want to start using there waste in my garden next year and was wondering if the hay I put in the coop for bedding would brake down in a compost with all the chicken waste? And about how long it will take to brake it all down as compost fertilize for my garden? Any suggestions will be helpful thanks!

I just got my first 12 chickens and I want to start using there waste in my garden next year and was wondering if the hay I put in the coop for bedding would brake down in a compost with all the chicken waste? And about how long it will take to brake it all down as compost fertilize for my garden? Any suggestions will be helpful thanks!
Yes you can put hay in your compost(pretty much anything that will brake down that's natural or food wise) and it takes different times for things to brake down depending on the size of the pile,how much it gets mixed/flipped,water content,and different things that's in it. It just depends on a few things. But congrats on your first chickens you'll see that you'll 99% want to get more and more breeds of chickens...take care!

Thanks for the help I'll be trying out new things in my compost over the next year to see what works best in my garden. I have already started looking at all the different breeds and wanting more!

I think the most important things are adding water when needed and turning pile. I just use my tiller about once a month. My garden area is mostly sand, we're talking beach type sand. And what I'll do for most plants is just dig a hole about 1'-1 1/2' wide and 8-10" deep and just pile my compost in that, plant my plants or seeds and sit back a watch them grow.

I just bought one of those double tumblers that are supposed to hold ~50 gallons in each side. I am hoping to speed up the composting process for the compostables we produce at my house. I have 6 hens and five rabbits that use straw bedding plus I add in kitchen scraps and I have an enormous pile of leaves from last fall (with only a few short months until fall comes again).
So far I'm not having any luck getting my compost to heat up in the tumblers. It seems to be moist enough so I'm guessing my mixture is wrong. I added some compost tea I got from a guy to see if I could jump start it but it doesn't appear to have worked. I don't bother with the leaf pile, its just a place to pile yard waste for now as I thought I would have more success with the tumblers.
I'm pretty new to the whole composting world, but so far it seems like some strange mystical science.

Yeah I've never been able to get mine hot either. Thinking the balance is off. Some say hay is a brown additive others say it's a green. Just know mine will break down some what fast with no odd smell or a lot of flys hanging around. I just make sure I don't put my compost on anything my fruit can touch. I always have 3 piles going. One I'm adding to (fresh chicken manure). And one that's at least 4 months old and looks like freshly dug dirt. And a 3rd older pile left over from last springs pile. Was thinking about using my oldest pile for compost tea. But haven't worked out just how it want to make it. WAY to many combination on how make it.

Last edited:
When we make coffee and if we don't drink it all I'll take the pot out and pour the remaining coffee over the compost pile,does anyone else do this?

Back
Top Bottom