compost problem?

jellyfish147

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Ive got a 60 litre plastic compost bin the type with a lid and door at the front.
Its kept at the bottom of the garden and all the usuals go into it.
The problem i hve is recently when i took the lid off to empty some potato peelings onto it i saw some holes in it as if its been burrowed
I checked around the perimeter and couldnt see any signs of burrowing in from the outside
But today as i took the lid off i caught a dirty great rat disappearing down a burrow right in the middle of my compost
Now obviously because rats are incontinent id presume my compost now had rat urine and faeces in it.....would this render the compost now useless to use on my vegetable patch for the obvious reasons of disease?..thanks for any replies and help in advance

I wouldn't use the compost, but that's just me. What are you putting in your compost that is attracting rats? Some of the more common culprits are egg shells that haven't been washed or meat/dairy.

Get a cat. Let your compost get hot from thermophillic bacteria and then sit a year.

Ok so why do we need 3 separate threads on composting?

I wouldn't use the compost, but that's just me. What are you putting in your compost that is attracting rats? Some of the more common culprits are egg shells that haven't been washed or meat/dairy.
Yes eggshells go in but zero dairy or meat...just usual household and garden waste
grass clippings veg peeling potato peelings weeds etc
some suggested to me that it may not be a rat/rats but bank voles??

Let it rot! If it composts properly it will kill all those bacteria and whatnot you are worried about anyway. Go ahead and use it, you would put chicken poo in a compost pile and then would use the compost, right? Chickens are gross and disgusting, too!

First - figure out how the rat got into the compost container and close all ports of entry.
Second - evict the rat!
Third - turn that pile and moisten it to get it hot and really cooking - it will kill those pathogens. Add the finished compost to teh garden at the end of the gardening season and turn it into the soil so it can sit over winter. The biotic life in the soil will help to kill any remaining pathegens also.

Fourth - make sure to wash anything you pick from your garden before eating it, because I assure you that rat is not just in your compost pile - he is taking midnight stolls through your spinach also.

If it worries you too much - grosses you out - then just dedicate that batch of compost to your flower gardens and start a new pile.

First - figure out how the rat got into the compost container and close all ports of entry.
Second - evict the rat!
Third - turn that pile and moisten it to get it hot and really cooking - it will kill those pathogens. Add the finished compost to teh garden at the end of the gardening season and turn it into the soil so it can sit over winter. The biotic life in the soil will help to kill any remaining pathegens also.

Fourth - make sure to wash anything you pick from your garden before eating it, because I assure you that rat is not just in your compost pile - he is taking midnight stolls through your spinach also.

If it worries you too much - grosses you out - then just dedicate that batch of compost to your flower gardens and start a new pile.

All very excellent advice.

can anyone point me in the direction to these threads about composing,I can't seem to find them.

Back
Top Bottom