Compost Questions

Hillschicks

Songster
7 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Having chickens leads inevitably to one thing... Wth do we do with the poop?!? Well, we have decided to compost it... Which leads me to two questions

Question number 1 - besides chicken poop and our chosen bedding, what are some good things to add to a compost pile for optimal results?

Question number 2 - coffee grounds are acceptable compost material ive read, but what about the coffee filter?? Can that be thrown right in as well??

If I use the unbleached filters I add those as well.
Any animal or plant product can be composted.
I know they say not to compost animal products but if you have enough brown material it works well.
I actually returned to chicken raising primarily for the manure.
I use deep litter and around 3 months or so I pull all the bedding out and compost it, then replace with new pine shavings.

How long does the chicken poop have to be composted before it can be used in the garden?

It depends on the size of the pile, frequency of turning, moisture and how hot it gets. If the pile is large enough, has a good ratio of nitrogen to carbon, kept moist but not wet, turned perhaps once a week or more often if you have the ability it will heat unbelieveably.
In that scenario it can be ready in a couple months.
The turning feeds oxygen to the aerobic bacteria. Drying out puts the skids on it.
The main mistake most people make is to have a pile that is too small. If that's the case it could take 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom