Composting - $500 Lomi v. FREE Chicken Bucket?

Would you spend $500 on the Lomi composter to dehydrate your scraps into 2 cups of "dirt"

• Heck yeah, I'm in to spending $500 for a kitchen composter to make a couple cups of "dirt" compost.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way, I feed my scraps to the chickens for free and they give me eggs in return.

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • I have no interest in making compost in any manner. Flood the landfills!

• What's compost?

• Total voters
I helped crowdfund Lomi on indiegogo and got it for $300. We have 15 chickens and a large compost bin in our backyard and we compost a lot of yard waste and chicken manure. My hens don’t necessarily like the foods I put into Lomi. I do toss the food scraps they like outside for them while they’re free ranging. Otherwise the scraps go in Lomi. It’s very convenient and keeps the fruit flies from accumulating around my compost pail (I used one before Lomi). I run it once a week and toss the results in the greenhouse where the coops are. The girls love digging through it and I’ve noticed so do worms if they get a chance to find it before the girls scratch it up. I think owning a Lomi is just a question of personal preference. For us, it works great as a part of our composting systems.

I like the concept that Lomi is trying to get people to compost kitchen scraps instead of tossing eveything into the trash. So, I support them in that sense. And it's great that you found a good use for your composting system. I'm all for that.

Almost all my scrap food and leftover stuff gets fed to the chickens. For the very small handful of items that the chickens are not supposed to eat, I toss them in my pallet wood composting bin. So, nothing is wasted.

I also realize that maybe my chicken run composting system setup takes better advantage of feeding food scraps to the chickens. What the chickens don't like to eat fresh, gets buried into the chicken run litter and composts in place. Once it gets covers up by the top layers of litter, the worms also get a chance to eat it, and then the chickens will scratch up and eat the worms.

:highfive: For some reason, I have seen lots of Lomi commercials on YouTube and other online ads. I hope that means Lomi is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom