Composting chicken run

Pics
I don’t shred it like paper shredder fine...just go at it with my hands and a utility knife. It’s bigger “chunks” of carbon, but I think a variety like that is good for the pile.

They’re bigger than shredded paper, bigger than a leaf, smaller than a wood chip.
Thanks. That's the only way I know how to shred the heavy cardboard at home, short of spending $$$ for a commercial cardboard shredder. Fortunately, even heavy cardboard almost melts when it gets wet.

As a bonus, worms love the glue in the cardboard and if you just layer cardboard on the ground and soak it down, you will probably have lots of worms finding their way underneath that cardboard. You could feed the worms to the chickens and/or throw the worms into a "cold" compost bin for even more composting.

Did someone say that Amazon boxes tape and all were ok to use? Or possibly I dreamed about that.

:idunno That is a great question. I know that all our newspaper print uses soy based inks, and therefore OK to compost. The store labels on produce are supposed to be food grade, and compostable. More and more companies are being more responsible and trying to eliminate toxic products that get thrown into a landfill. That is a good trend.

It would be nice to see Amazon use tape that was compostable. Next box I get from them I think I will throw it outside in a compost bin and check it for myself. One of the main reasons I send most of our cardboard to the recycle bin is because it has plastic based tape on it and I did not want to throw that our in the chicken run or the compost bin.

:thumbsup Update to my own post: Found this online article Can Amazon Boxes & Prime Tape Be Composted? and the short answer is YES! Lots of other good info in that article and even an Amazaon link to a 12 sheet shredder that is strong enough to shred box cardboard. If you need a shredder, that might be a great option to shred up your cardboard too.

Amazon Basics 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper and Credit Card Home Office Shredder

:idunno That is a great question. I know that all our newspaper print uses soy based inks, and therefore OK to compost. The store labels on produce are supposed to be food grade, and compostable. More and more companies are being more responsible and trying to eliminate toxic products that get thrown into a landfill. That is a good trend.

It would be nice to see Amazon use tape that was compostable. Next box I get from them I think I will throw it outside in a compost bin and check it for myself. One of the main reasons I send most of our cardboard to the recycle bin is because it has plastic based tape on it and I did not want to throw that our in the chicken run or the compost bin.

:thumbsup Update to my own post: Found this online article Can Amazon Boxes & Prime Tape Be Composted? and the short answer is YES! Lots of other good info in that article and even an Amazaon link to a 12 sheet shredder that is strong enough to shred box cardboard. If you need a shredder, that might be a great option to shred up your cardboard too.

Amazon Basics 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper and Credit Card Home Office Shredder
I'll check out the articles and I need a shredder, mine bit the dust!

I want to add, and the article mentions it: Remove the shipping label. I used to work in shipping, and those labels have a lot of plastic in them, even though they "feel" like they are paper. It's a good idea to remove any other stick on labels too.

Thanks for the link, @gtaus.

I'll check out the articles and I need a shredder, mine bit the dust!

My "biggest" shredder is rated for 8 sheets. It can shred light cardboard from a cereal box, but nothing thicker/stronger. When it comes time to buy a new shredder, I will be looking for something strong enough that can also shred box cardboard. There was a customer review, with video, on that Amazon 12 sheet shredder and he shows it just eating up cardboard. That would be nice to shred up our limited cardboard into shreds that can be used in the coop. Just another option to consider if you have to buy a new shredder anyway.

Yeah, I could see using the box cardboard shredded as coop bedding, maybe mixed 50/50 with pine shavings and being added to the compost when cleaning out the coop.

In moderation, I think just about anything can be used to mix in with the deep litter bedding for the coop. I use wood chips, leaves, and shredded paper - all carbon sources. I try to keep the coop as dry as possible which keeps down the humidity and the smell, of course. Used coop bedding will be dumped out into the chicken run when it needs to be cleaned. Then it gets mixed with the greens and can compost.

Back
Top Bottom