composting

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DEBRA56, Jan 15, 2013.

1. DEBRA56

DEBRA56 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Today article about composting states manure can be scratch through by chickens. My question is: will it harm them in any way to scratch through THEIR OWN POOP? We have a compost with lots of hay, their poop, eggs shells and that is pretty much it. We don't put anything else in there. What are the pros & cons. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR FEEDBACK.

Deb

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Hurt them? Oh, heavens, no! How else can they share probiotics and help each other keep flock immunities up?

3. nursebecky99

nursebecky99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Alamance County NC
    I have been considering using my (future) chickens to help with my garden compost efforts. I throw everything into the composter that is organic in nature: Lots of veggies, fruit scraps, coffee grounds and tea bags mostly. In the spring, weeds from garden, clippings, and grass clippings go in. But, it takes a long while to break down. I've read alot of info, and some sources say that I can use compost in the chicken run over a base of hay or bedding, the birds will scratch through it, mixing and shredding, while on the hunt for edible bugs. Then I can just shovel the good stuff out as needed for my garden. My concerns are if its safe? Do I need to stop adding coffee and tea to the compost (I'm thinking of jacked up caffeinated birds...)? Will it be a smellier mess than just normal coop & run? My composter doesn't stink, except when I am being lazy and don't turn it. It is always teeming with bugs, worms, and grubs (gross juicy big ones).
    Can I get some opinions?

4. DEBRA56

Mar 3, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks for the feedback,,,,, [​IMG]

5. DEBRA56

Mar 3, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Thank you for the feedback[​IMG]

6. DEBRA56

Mar 3, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    fffff

7. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I think it all depends what you put in the compost. some plants are poisonous like milkweed, jasmine, datura and are very common in the garden. I don't want my chickens getting to that before it is broken down. Also I don't want any chicken manure less than 3 months old going back into my garden. I have several piles going at any one time. I have one bin that I empty every three months, I never add chicken manure to it once it has started. After 3 months composting with a couple of stirs along the way, I put in my vegetable garden. Then I fill that bin up with yard waste, kitchen waste and chicken manure and wait another 3 months, and so on. I think you have to be careful with any fresh manure, except maybe rabbit manure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by