Computer as incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grenadianexpat, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Grenadianexpat

Grenadianexpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Grenada W.I.
    I just had a few eggs ignored by 3 Hens that had some chick but didn't sit for lang after the first couple got mobile. So I thought that it would be a shame to let so many eggs spoil.

Not having an incubator to hand, and I don't think one is even available on the Island I decided to utilize my Computer.

One large Ice Cream box, a container with some water for humidity, and an old egg carton to keep the heat in and the breezes out.

Results so far, 3 successful deliveries, but through my own stupidity one emerged overnight while I was asleep, and managed to drown itself in the water container. I just didn't think it would be out until daylight.

The temperature here varies from 88 to 76 degrees day to night extremes, but the rather overstretched computer gives off a lot of heat out the back, and the top of the case is warm, so it is a good constant source of heat.

][​IMG]

2. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    WOW!! Congrats!!! Way cool!!!! [​IMG]
    sorry to hear about the loss! [​IMG]
    God Bless!

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] you should win a prize for ingenuity!

4. xxleandraxx

xxleandraxx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Wow!!! thats amazing well done x

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Very original!

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, considering who the "birth mother" was, those should be incredibly intelligent and logical chickens. I just hope they don't periodically get a glazed look in their eyes and refuse to do anything until someone hits a reset button on them. Or crash for no apparent reason right in the middle of laying eggs.

You don't have to pay Hewlett Packard or Dell or Microsoft some kind of royalty fee or license fee now, do you?

7. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I posted something back in May about using a computer case as an incubator, but I never thought about setting the eggs near my constantly running pc. That's definitely a first! Congratz on your babies!

Sad to hear about the little one that died. [​IMG] Maybe you can trim a sponge to fit inside the bowl and put just enough water on it to dampen the sponge. That should prevent any casualties while keeping the air moist.

8. Grenadianexpat

Grenadianexpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Grenada W.I.
    Condolences appreciated.

Being that the PC is in the bedroom, I trotted over first thing this morning full of hope to see a ring of cracked shell, only to see the sorry remains. Having read only yesterday about chicks having a death wish for about a week where water is concerned I now have a modicum of guilt for not using the thing between my ears to make the environment safe. The sponge idea is good, I like that. I was thinking about a piece of chicken wire mesh over the top. What ever works eh.... :)

They have had a day in isolation in a secure mini coup within the main coup today to give them some chicken insight. But are back on top of the puter tonight to make sure they stay warm. After nodding off in my hands on my lap while one of us was watching TV. They didn't pop which was nice of them. They definitely think my hands are Mum.

9. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    I'd love to see plans of how you made this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by