Computer Question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Avalon1984, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Since I am not very good with computers but my old guy is turning 8 this year and starting to leave me, I must look for a replacement. Now, mostly I just fool around on the computer although I do some serious work too occasionally. I do have a bunch of favorite video games and they are compatible with Windows 98 and XP. Would they run on anything that has Windows 7? I’d hate to lose those games, I really like them and they were released when…well, when the new stuff didn’t exist yet. I am torn on whether I should hope my old computer hangs in there or go and get something new before it dies. I know the people on this forum are a lot more helpful than Best Buy and these places. They will immediately know that I don’t know too much about computers. [​IMG]

2. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I am just taking a guess, but I think your games will probably work just as well on Windows 7 as any of the other operating systems. You can buy a great system at such an affordable price now.

3. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Oh Stephanie, I hope you are right, I am so dragging my feet on this and I am afraid one of these days my computer might just die on me. Looks like my options are priced between $300 and $500. Will take a while to save up on that yet. [​IMG]

4. erner

erner Chillin' With My Peeps

There's a chance they will, and a chance they won't. We have a couple of Windows XP/95 games that don't work on our windows 7 computer, but there was a nancy drew game that played on this computer fine when it had windows 7, but it wont play on the computer that currently has windows 7, so I just have know idea.

5. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I found this computer information of my game. Does that help? I would hate to lose that game. Would make me very sad [​IMG]

Developer(s)

Impressions Games

Publisher(s)

Sierra Entertainment

Series

City Building Series

Version

Platform(s)

Microsoft Windows

Release date(s)

Genre(s)

Strategy/Simulation

Mode(s)

Single-player

Media/distribution

CD-ROM

System requirements
    Windows 95/98
    200 MHz Processor
    32 MB RAM
    360 MB free space
    4X CD-ROM Drive
    1 MB video card

6. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi, when we had an oldish computer (5yrs old) the hard drive failed and in the end we took it to a computer repair shop and had a new one, they also upgraded the RAM and cost £90.00 they asked which operating system we wanted on it and said XP rather than windows 7. The computer is running fine now no probs and was cheaper than getting a new one. The other option if you can is buy a reconditioned one that has XP, you get them with 6month/1 year warrenty too. I think that you may have problems running some if not all of them. It's a real pain when this happens, I too have sone old games I like and I now have a specific gaming computer for it now hoping it will last a longer time. I wish you good luck and hope you get something sorted.

7. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Thank you so much for your advice. I thought about just getting this one renewed but the cd-drive gets stuck all the time now too. I have to push the button 10-15x just to open the cd drive. We have a few smaller computer stores here, maybe I will go and check those out. I am a little hesitant because they did something like that to my late husband, gave him a reconditioned computer tower (its grey had faded to yellow, had been around for a while) and it didn’t work well despite the money. He just asked for his old one back [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by