1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

concered about tail feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickmchickie, Feb 17, 2012.

1. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    Over the last week i noticed my chickens losing feathers on their back down by their tail feathers and also their tail feathers seem to be missing some, and the ones that are there look rough and all messed up.. I have no roosters and they are EE RIR BS AUS NH..
    any one has any ideas what is causing this?
    thanks i am very concerned

2. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    forgot to say its only the EE out of the flock

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Could be doing a random molt. Check for mites or some other bug. Mites is unlikely since your entire flock would probably have it. Is it the hen doing it to herself or are others doing it to her?

4. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I am not sure what it is.. the feathers round the back of the next on the back side and the feathers down by the tail feathers on the back side and now i noticed their tail feather are missing and looking rough.. there is nothing getting into the chickens, i looks for mites lice and all that, nothing.. and every now and then i find one on her side not wanting to get up.. lost one to that the other one is ok.. I am not sure if its molting, i will go goggle molting chicken and see if i can find some info on this, if anyone else has any idea please let me know

I see my membership ran out.. it seems wit out that your not as popular and dont get as many posts to you post.. I assure you i was a member and will sign back up again, just hard times right now..

5. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Im not a member and i always get a lot of posts. Repost your question.

6. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I was a member and got lots now that i am not i dont, so i have no idea..

anyways.. my EE are almost bare on their back side down my the tail feathers.. no mites no lice nothing the vet said all clean.. some have bloody spots now.. also one by one my EE are laying on their sizes and after a day they die.. they feet move and when i put out food they run to it, so they legs work.. they have all the shots from the hatchery.. and its just my EE'ers.. no one here knows what is going on with them, but one by one i am losing my EE's like one a week.. the coop is big enough and the right size for my chickens.. there is straw down, all clean no mold nothing checked all that too.. on flock starter..for months now..clean water 2 times a day..has shells.. winter here has been warmer.. they have a 250 red light in their coop that keeps its pretty warm on cold days.. ee are 9 months old, my rir.. nh.. bs.. aus are all ok besides molting a wee bit.. i am at a lost.. and breakingdown here.. i do not know what to do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by