Concern about antibiotics and when to process

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by flyingdragon, Dec 10, 2009.

1. flyingdragon

flyingdragon Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    Being new to the world of fowl I have many questions. It seems like most starter feeds contain some type of antibiotic. The Nutrena for my chicks contains amprolium and the gamebird starter for my guineas contains bacitracin. I understand that birds can get coccidiosis. But do you have to use antibiotics as a rule? And should you change to a abx-free ration before processing and if so for how long? I've heard some say to leave them on the starter and don't change. But I wonder if I am going to be ingesting this medicine along with my meat, which I don't want to do. I already changed to a nonmedicated ration for my chickens. How long does it take the birds to clear the medications?
  2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

The withdrawl period for the medicated feed should be on the tag that was attached to the bag of feed you purchased. Use that as a guide for the amount of time to provide antibiotic free feed prior to slaughter.

3. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    Thankyou for the post. Good to know. I don't raise broiler hens but was thinking about it next spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by