Concern?

Sophia V

Chirping
Jul 16, 2022
Ok, I'm a bit concerned. I posted about this before and was told it was probably intestinal lining. But then I was told it does not happen frequently. It seems, I have 3 pullets about 12 weeks of age, I'm seeing this at least weekly. Not every poop and mostly in the coop once in a while, first thing in the morningin the pen. So it is happening mostly over night. We have had some hot weather lately.

I clean poop out of the pen 2 times a day & clean poop out of coop daily. I don't want my neighbors complaining about smell or flies. I also want to enjoy my yard without an abundance of flies and smell.

In addition, I am trying to keep my pullets healthy. So, I am trying to figure out if I am dealing with a larger issue.

So, here is what I have been doing. I am feeding my pullets, Peck & Feed organic grower mix. They also get a little Mana Pro scratch & some dried mealworms. Which by the way, they recognize the sound of the container and go nuts over.

They get as fresh food, any of the following rotated, green cabbage, corn on the cob, kale, greek yogurt, cucumber, plain spaghetti, raw oats, watermelon. I've tried fruits like grapes, blueberries, apples and strawberries. They pick at them, but not love them. I have very picky girls. I have tried mustard greens & leaf lettuce, they pick at that too.

I supplement their water with ACV, 1 tsp per half gallon of water. When I thought they were having a worm or parasite issue, I purchased and used the product photographed below.

I now decided to try fermenting their feed. It is currently fermenting and I have not had a chance to feed it to them yet.

I grew a grass patch in their pen and they ate it all up. So I am trying to grow another batch. They do not free range because there is a Doxie in this home that would love to chase them and she finds them way to interesting. In addition, to a neighborhood hawk and horned owl.

So, that is the history. Do I have a reason to be concerned with the regular intestinal lining issue?

Thanks for your patience and any assitance you can give me. I am new to the chicken world, only 2 months now. I am learning alot, but have alot more to learn.
20220810_081011~2.jpg 20220810_081026~2.jpg 20220810_081448.jpg

They look like normal poop to me, and it sounds as if you are doing a fantastic job as a new chicken keeper :) They are growing fast at 12 weeks so there may be more cell turnover (including intestinal lining) now than might be expected when they are mature. Relax, and enjoy them. There'll be plenty to worry about in a month or two when they start laying :D

They look like normal poop to me, and it sounds as if you are doing a fantastic job as a new chicken keeper :) They are growing fast at 12 weeks so there may be more cell turnover (including intestinal lining) now than might be expected when they are mature. Relax, and enjoy them. There'll be plenty to worry about in a month or two when they start laying :D
Thank you. I hope more enjoyment than worry

If ever have to treat worms, youll need some valbazen, as the product you bought won't do a thing for any worms as its just probiotics. I'd cut back on the more starchy extras until they're full grown. :]
that's a bit outdated.
The following (freely available) article is a review of current thinking on methods that avoid prophylactic and scattergun use of meds on poultry, to prevent the further development of antibiotic resistance among bugs. Probiotics are among them
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/12/7/892

Ok, I'm a bit concerned. I posted about this before and was told it was probably intestinal lining. But then I was told it does not happen frequently. It seems, I have 3 pullets about 12 weeks of age, I'm seeing this at least weekly. Not every poop and mostly in the coop once in a while, first thing in the morningin the pen. So it is happening mostly over night. We have had some hot weather lately.

I clean poop out of the pen 2 times a day & clean poop out of coop daily. I don't want my neighbors complaining about smell or flies. I also want to enjoy my yard without an abundance of flies and smell.

In addition, I am trying to keep my pullets healthy. So, I am trying to figure out if I am dealing with a larger issue.

So, here is what I have been doing. I am feeding my pullets, Peck & Feed organic grower mix. They also get a little Mana Pro scratch & some dried mealworms. Which by the way, they recognize the sound of the container and go nuts over.

They get as fresh food, any of the following rotated, green cabbage, corn on the cob, kale, greek yogurt, cucumber, plain spaghetti, raw oats, watermelon. I've tried fruits like grapes, blueberries, apples and strawberries. They pick at them, but not love them. I have very picky girls. I have tried mustard greens & leaf lettuce, they pick at that too.

I supplement their water with ACV, 1 tsp per half gallon of water. When I thought they were having a worm or parasite issue, I purchased and used the product photographed below.

I now decided to try fermenting their feed. It is currently fermenting and I have not had a chance to feed it to them yet.

I grew a grass patch in their pen and they ate it all up. So I am trying to grow another batch. They do not free range because there is a Doxie in this home that would love to chase them and she finds them way to interesting. In addition, to a neighborhood hawk and horned owl.

So, that is the history. Do I have a reason to be concerned with the regular intestinal lining issue?

Thanks for your patience and any assitance you can give me. I am new to the chicken world, only 2 months now. I am learning alot, but have alot more to learn.
View attachment 3218091View attachment 3218092View attachment 3218095
Since you're seeing shed intestinal lining frequently, you are correct to be concerned. It's time to treat your birds with Corid 9.6% liquid solution. Corid is not an antibiotic, it is a thiamine blocker and will knock back coccidiosis from multiplying causing shed intestinal lining that may eventually cause death if not treated.

Corid dosage is 9.5ml per gallon of water for 5 days, make it fresh daily and do not add anything else to the mixture. It must be their sole source of water to drink. Do not give your birds anything containing thiamine during treatment.
Corid can be found in the cattle section at a feed store.

that's a bit outdated.
The following (freely available) article is a review of current thinking on methods that avoid prophylactic and scattergun use of meds on poultry, to prevent the further development of antibiotic resistance among bugs. Probiotics are among them
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/12/7/892
Can you show me please where you read that it works on intestinal parasites? I read the whole review and I only saw mention of coccidiosis, various campylobacters, salmonella and yeast infections.

If ever have to treat worms, youll need some valbazen, as the product you bought won't do a thing for any worms as its just probiotics. I'd cut back on the more starchy extras until they're full grown. :]
@nuthatched I agree with you.

@Sophia V I recommend that you stop giving your birds all the goodies and feed them starter feed only. Too much of a good thing can be unhealthy for growing pullets.
If you suspect worms, I highly recommend dosing your birds with Valbazen. It will take care of all types of poultry worms except tapeworms. Dosage is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken. Repeat in 10 days.

And if you don't medicate your birds on the basis of guesswork as to what, if anything, is wrong with them, their natural body chemistry and immune systems will be able to continue to function and develop properly. Medication has downsides.

Can you show me please where you read that it works on intestinal parasites? I read the whole review and I only saw mention of coccidiosis, various campylobacters, salmonella and yeast infections.
You missed the point when you skimmed the article. You do not know the birds have internal parasires. That's prophylactic medicating.

Back
Top Bottom