Concerned about feed

AtBibby

Hatching
5 Years
May 10, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
I have a 10 wk barred rock, an 8 wk RIR & 2-8 wk EE's, I lost an EE at 2 wks and an EE at 4 wks old. fIne one night and dead the next. my barred rock was listless & had difficulty standing last week. I took her to vet and he said her crop was empty, that she wasn't eating. BUt she is eating, i see her eat and she gets fresh food twice a day and fresh water on a nipple system every other day (Now with vitamin at vets suggestion). he forcefed the barred rock and put all of them on antibiotics twice a day thinking it might be bacterial. There is no sneezing. The rir and ee seem small to me and all three feel thin. I am feeding a starter feed, a TExas all natural, no gmo feed. Do you think it could be the brand of food or the fact that I need to change them to grower feed. We are in San Antonio, TX if that is a question to anyone.

Until they are 22 weeks old, they should be on starter feed. We buy Purina because that is the only brand our feed store carries. We also buy the medicated kind. Personal choice. Do what you want there. At the age they are, they should have feed in front of them 24/7. We use the red plastic feeders. If you have less than 5 chicks, get the ones that attach to the mason jars.

Chickens at all ages should have fresh water 24/7 also.

Last edited:
They have food and water available 24/7. I just add additional food every morning and every evening and completely change out their water every 2 days. I can see how my original thread may have been a little confusing. Thanks for the comments.

Oh, Good!! Sorry about the misunderstanding. Hard to say what actually happened to the others. My guess is maybe something genetic or the chick just didn't thrive due to a vitamin deficiency. A lot of times veterinarians are just guessing too. Maybe because the chick had not recently ate, the vet assumed it was starving.

About the size of your RIR & EE. I have both of those breeds plus a handful of others. These 2 breeds are small in stature. So, my pullets (Buff Orpington, Dixie Rainbow, Speckled Sussex) which I purchased in May are now towering over the RIR and EE.

I would continue with whatever vitamins the vet suggested. Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions.

Back
Top Bottom