Concerned about where hens are laying

Farmer Kitty

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Wisconsin
My hens are 17 1/2 weeks. They started laying at 15 weeks. Some are using the nest boxes, but about once a week I find eggs on the floor. The ones on the floor are usually broken and they may or may not be eating them. I'm wondering if these are the first time layers. I have noticed an increase in the boxes after these episodes, but I had a rooster that became aggressive that I had to move out so things have not been smooth enough for me to know for sure. So do I worry about the floor layers? Or are they inexperienced and I can soon find their eggs in the boxes?

I dont know what to tell ya cuz i am dealin with the same prob but at first they would lay in the box and now 1 month later they are on the floor? weird i know but what do you have in the box maybe they dont like it

I get an rare one laid on the floor.
I also get an occasional egg that is on the floor, but right under the roosting area. When one is there it is always broken. I think the time to lay an egg comes upon them at night, and they are still asleep/to lazy to go to the egg box.
Mostly they go in thier boxes. Floor eggs, broken or not only accounts for probably 2% of the eggs I get, if that.

We have some second cut grass hay in the boxes for bedding. It's only the hens laying real early in the day (when it's dark outside) that are laying on the floor. I'm going to try leaving the light on and see if they just don't want to go to the boxes because of the darkness. But if that doesn't work maybe I will change some of the bedding to something else and see what happens. One change at a time so I know what worked.

It is normal to get eggs on the floor when they are just beginning to lay. It's almost like they don't know whats happening...and then OOPS there went an egg!

To help with gettign everyone to lay in the boxes...add some golfballs. Golfballs are best in my oppinion because they are also effective at keeping chickens from becoming egg eaters.

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom