Concerned about wild birds

I intend to go right on feeding my wild bird friends after I get my chickens. Like terrie, my coop and run will be in a whole different area from where we feed the wild ones. In addition to that we will be planting 10 lbs. of millet that my SO got thru the fish and game officer, some backyard wildlife habitat program. It will be planted in the east, and the chickens will be much more to the west of the house. I don't see a conflict, other than to be sure and wash my hands thoroughly after handling the wild bird feeders; which I do anyhow. It wouldn't be spring for me without the birds, especially the hummers. They are just too special to miss out on.

Thanks for your replies.

ivan3,
I've asked my mom to stop dumping the old wet seed on the ground as the chickens were eating it. Unfortunately it's just kind of disgusting under the feeders right now. I dusted the new chickens with DE for the lice, and while I think it worked, it also seems to have caused a respiratory problem in one of them. So I don't think that's something I can do regularly.

Maybe I can convince her to feed the birds in the woods this summer.

Dana, mix maybe a quarter cup of unpacked DE per 30lb. of wood chips (and just a sprinkle in the dusting areas). However, after watching the chooks and turkeys tear the fire pit into a veritable cloud of ashes, DE and dirt, on a daily basis, with nothing but the occasional sneeze, I'd not worry awfully much about your one time application on your girls.

Just keep the feeders changed out.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

I'm not sure it was the DE that caused the respiratory problem, although she did start sounding bad not long after I used it. Also, one of the hens she came with sounded bad when I first got them, so I think they're all more prone to it. That hen sounds better now, and she never acted sick.

The hen that's sick now wasn't eating the first day, so I moved her into the garage so she wasn't being exposed to any more of the dust. She seems alright now except for her breathing.

Also, I realized I wasn't very clear, I asked my mom to stop dumping the old seed out last summer, although I guess that could have caused the crop infections. I can't remember exactly when it happened.

Back
Top Bottom