Concerned for My Chicken That Lays 2 Eggs in a Day

InTheGroveCoop

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2023
It sounds great to have a chicken that lays 2 eggs in a day, but this last time she did this I thought she was going to die. She was very out of it, staring out into space even after I brought treats out. She barely moved, she just stood their and would close her eyes for long periods of time. After noticing this behavior for about 20 to 30 minutes she laid a very soft shelled 2nd egg of the day. She started to perk back up slowly over the course of 15 minutes. At this point it was almost dark and all the other chickens were roosting and no longer in the yard. I placed her in a small pen with water, food, egg shells and protein. When she started eating she went only after the egg shell. I always have eggshells available in the coop.

This chicken lays 2 eggs about once a month here is the photo of her soft egg. But I have never seen her act so sick before. Does anyone have experience with this? Is she super lethargic and sick because she is low on calcium? Could this kill her?

Any advice is much appreciated

Attachments

• 20230808_200540.jpg
    20230808_200540.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 56
I have a hen (Sapphire Splash) that's been laying for about a month now, and three or four times she's laid a soft egg. Today she laid a soft egg overnight sometime, and just laid a hard egg as well. She regularly (about six or seven times now) also lays double yolks in her hard eggs.

I'm assuming this is hormonal, and she seems totally fine, but I was worried it might be hard on her physically.

A second hen (RIR) started laying not quite a week ago and my third (Calico Princess) isn't laying yet, so I'm finishing out the grower feed I have before switching to layer pellets. I've made oyster shells available in the meantime and they get treats like meal worms, occasional fruit, and yogurt/pumpkin. I only have a couple days of the grower feed left, so switching in the next few days.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is this relatively normal or maybe due to her being a young layer?

Anyone have any thoughts? Is this relatively normal or maybe due to her being a young layer?
Yes, new layer hiccups are not uncommon as the reproductive system comes online and works out it's kinks.

This chicken lays 2 eggs about once a month here is the photo of her soft egg. But I have never seen her act so sick before. Does anyone have experience with this? Is she super lethargic and sick because she is low on calcium? Could this kill her?
That also sounds like it was new layer hiccups.. that should correct before too long (IF you KNOW your nutrition is correct).. but yes if a soft (or hard) eggs doesn't pass it can be deadly within 48 hours.. known as egg bound.

Check out this article for some fantastic information on egg anomalies commonly seen..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

I hope you both are enjoying BYC, welcome! :frow

Back
Top Bottom