concerned for my pekin duck

Ms. Lydia,

My husband and I are noticing a slight change in his breathing. I wanted to get your opinion on it.When he inhales, it is quiet and easy, in appearance. When he exhales, however, it appears slightly forced and he is making a whoosh sound on the exhale. He does this even in the water. Do you think it is just pain and discomfort, or do you think he might have something going on with his nose holes or possibly his mouth? he does not seem to have anything stuck inside his mouth or nose, when I am watching him, so I am not sure why he appears to be pushing it out, rather than his more regular exhale movements. Just want to make sure I do not overreact to anything, lol. Any opinions on that?

BrittanySC
Is it possible to make a video? ducks make different sounds sometimes when breathing and unless we can actually hear what your talking about it would be hard to say. Maybe since your so close to this now your just seeing things that really aren't nothing but could be? Have you put ACV into his drinking water. if not try adding some ACV 1-2 tab to 1 gallon of water, he'll wash his face in it and also drink it, it's a good antibacterial and tonic.

I am sorry I havent responded sooner, school and work have had me slammed and of course keeping up with Aflac, my injured boy. He has started perking back up a little bit with food, and will eat voraciously at Kale and sweet peas lol cabbage has always been one of his favs, but he is sticking with kale mostly right now. he is still walking very slowly and when he gets excited, he still stumbles and falls. I have been looking for a vet near me who will treat him, just to make sure its nothing more serious, as he seems to have stopped improving, and is now at somewhat of a stand still in recovery. I have not had any luck finding a close vet. I am going to see if the one that is an hour away will be able to help with costs to take him there, as the gas is gonna be a bit of an expense right now. the issues he was having with his wings jerking did stop, and i do believe that was just a balancing thing. I want to say thank you so much for all of your advice and help, the things you suggested did seem tohelp me a lot, but now he has flatlined on recovery, and I just need to know there is nothing more going on with him, as a cautionary act. Thanks again, for everything!!!!!!!!!!!

I can provide a slightly better description of his movements, but was unable to get a video of him to upload. when he falls, it is when he goes to step, and its like his legs want to stretch out and back, and then he just kinda falls down, and it takes him a moment to pulll his feet back under him to stand back up. he does this a good bit throughout the day. he does this when he swims too, though of course he does not fall, but rather does a one big long glide across their very big duckie pool......................lol its cute to see in the water, but he has not always done that, and given it happens on land, i am not sure if i should be concerned or not. when he eats, he seems to have some trouble getting it down, and will like hold his mouth open, and cough to dislodge something before he swallows. he does that with every couple bites or more, depending on how well he doing each day. better days there is les of it, but days where he is stumbling a good bit, he has more trouble. I am not sure what that could be, which is why i was thinking a vet may be able to let me know more detailed, if, no suggestions ccan be found here on those particulars. other than those two things, though, he is back to his old self.

Oh, and Mc Allister (my mallard girl) has been helping him dry his feathers on his tail after swimming times lol drives my peking nuts but she seems so determined to help him dry out and fluff up all his feathers. she is ever vigiliant over him, and stays near him. anytime something gets near him she stands up, and becomes very vocal, in her effort to be the big warrior duck protector lol.

Are you supplementing any vitamins along with the care your giving him? like B vitamins? niacin Brewers yeast? B's are very important for health in water fowl and if they don't get adequate especially when ducklings it can lead to lameness and neurological problems which sounds like your Drake may have both . I'm not sure just how much recovery he would have but I think a good poultry vitamin might help him Like Poultry Nutri Drench or human B complex or plain niacin or Brewers yeast now I am naming all of these and don't expect you yo go out and buy them all just giving you an idea of what you may be able to find, So I just read you have been giving him the Nutri Drench and niacin. Are you still and what dosage asking because at 8 months the dose will be stronger than for say a month old duckling. Kale is really a good way to naturally supplement calcium in their diets. My flock loves kale. Just seems from all you have described either he was showing symptoms before the accident and you just didn't notice them that much or he really injured himself some how, but all you have describe sure sounds like a niacin dif that has caused the leg issues and the neurological issue. I'd try a vet if at all possible. That is so sweet that McAlliater is being so helpful too. I wrote the first part of my post before going back and reading that you were supplementing already so please excuse my questions.

yes i am using the nutri drench in water, i have him on probiotics electrolytes, brewers yeast and the apple cider vinegar tabs....... i have just noticed a mucous in the corners of his mouth..... i have finally found a vet that treats birds and i am taking him there first thing in the morning when they open, as they are closed now. In research, this is being referred to as sypmtoms of cholera.......so i am thinking he is going to need meds of some kind. the article i read has a list of stuff to put in feed, but he has not eaten much today at all, and seems to be having more trouble. I do not know if i can even get those things, without a perscription. if this sounds familiar to u, and you can offer any advice, id be grateful. I am very concerned about him, as he seems to have had a total relapse as of today, as he startedhaving trouble again. I think he might have gotten into something bad, and i am not sure how to address it, now.

also, he is has regular feed, i bought him a food supplement to go in it, as well to increase the B's and other vitamins, along with millet seeds, and cabbage. the ducks only get a small portion of the veggies as part of their meals most of their food is in the duck feed and supplement. oh and they have had some oats, very few, which they like. i am thinkin this is not a food issue, but perhaps an illness, as the mucous thing just started today, as ive been watching him closely and had not seen that before, and then he started falling more.

also, he is has regular feed, i bought him a food supplement to go in it, as well to increase the B's and other vitamins, along with millet seeds, and cabbage. the ducks only get a small portion of the veggies as part of their meals most of their food is in the duck feed and supplement. oh and they have had some oats, very few, which they like. i am thinkin this is not a food issue, but perhaps an illness, as the mucous thing just started today, as ive been watching him closely and had not seen that before, and then he started falling more.
I think the best thing to do now is to let the vet evaluate him, he'll be able to tell you what is the best course of action or is there is nothing that can be done. Then you'll know for sure. I wouldn't be giving him everything at once like if your using Nutri drench then only use it and maybe a small dose of niacin or brewers yeast but not the ACV and the Nutri drench an the other things at one time, I am sorry if I gave that impression. When i suggested different things to try I said or. Please let us know how he is and what the vet said.

Hello again. I just wanted to give an update on Aflac. He is sick, and was put on antibiotics. Tetracycline, 400-800mg per gallon of water everyday all day for 7-14 days. He has been on them now for 3 full days, and has made some great improvements. he is breathing a little better, his feet are no longer turned inward, and his balance is slowing returning to him. He is even back to tryin to bite at the cats tail when he walks by them, again. He had not done that in almost three weeks. The use of the ACV tabs can be used with this, the vet said, and he is washing his own face again, which he had stopped doing for two days. He is still a little yucky in how he feels, but is slowly becoming more active. I will let you know how he is doing, again, in another couple days, as he will have been on the antibiotics then, for about a week. Again, we thank you deeply, for all of your advice, and I truly believe that kept him from getting worse than what he did get. Mac, the mallard, is doing well, but she still guards him lol and insists on fluffing his feathers for him, though now, he is fussing at her and shooing her away again. So, he is making good progress now, and will keep you posted on his outcome. Thank you again for everything.

Sincerely,
BrittanySC

Peas are great for niacin, get some frozen peas and feed your patient. Even when our ducks are fine n well we will feed then peas here and there to make sure our ducks are getting enough niacin Good luck hope your patient is on the mend

Hello again. I just wanted to give an update on Aflac. He is sick, and was put on antibiotics. Tetracycline, 400-800mg per gallon of water everyday all day for 7-14 days. He has been on them now for 3 full days, and has made some great improvements. he is breathing a little better, his feet are no longer turned inward, and his balance is slowing returning to him. He is even back to tryin to bite at the cats tail when he walks by them, again. He had not done that in almost three weeks. The use of the ACV tabs can be used with this, the vet said, and he is washing his own face again, which he had stopped doing for two days. He is still a little yucky in how he feels, but is slowly becoming more active. I will let you know how he is doing, again, in another couple days, as he will have been on the antibiotics then, for about a week. Again, we thank you deeply, for all of your advice, and I truly believe that kept him from getting worse than what he did get. Mac, the mallard, is doing well, but she still guards him lol and insists on fluffing his feathers for him, though now, he is fussing at her and shooing her away again. So, he is making good progress now, and will keep you posted on his outcome. Thank you again for everything.

Sincerely,
BrittanySC
That is good news, so glad you were able to get him to a vet. Sounds like he is on the way to good health again.. Thanks for letting us know. Hope to hear even more good news soon!!

Back
Top Bottom