Concerned my hen has an impacted crop

PoppySeedy

Chirping
May 14, 2021
So it's definitely an impacted crop. I woke up this morning and checked in her, felt her crop and it's like a hard golf ball and it's gone quite hot. However she's not drinking that much which is concerning me considering she needs water to help break it up. I'll continue to give her oil and massage it, are there any other foods I can give her which help with impacted crop? (P.s. I'm not sure what she could've eaten which gave her this, I think it's probably feathers bc she is a prolific feather pecker, just bad habit)

Last edited:
You need to get the water in her. Either tube it in, get a syringe down her throat the right way or take the long slow route where you dribble it in and let her swallow it. She needs lots of water to help flush the crop.
You can also try giving her a stimulant free stool softener capsule.
You need to do crop massages with more water and a little oil given to her every 2 hours to help break it up. If it is something that won't break up, she may need crop surgery to remove it.
Good luck.

You need to get the water in her. Either tube it in, get a syringe down her throat the right way or take the long slow route where you dribble it in and let her swallow it. She needs lots of water to help flush the crop.
You can also try giving her a stimulant free stool softener capsule.
You need to do crop massages with more water and a little oil given to her every 2 hours to help break it up. If it is something that won't break up, she may need crop surgery to remove it.
Good luck.
Thank you for the advice, I've just done my first oil and water syringing of the day and fingers crossed things start moving. It's definitely a lot better than yesterday, since she's moving around a lot more but the lil gal still isn't drinking by herself 😩

Thank you for the advice, I've just done my first oil and water syringing of the day and fingers crossed things start moving. It's definitely a lot better than yesterday, since she's moving around a lot more but the lil gal still isn't drinking by herself 😩
Also I just went to get the eggs in and found one with blood on it. Idk if it's her egg or not (all of the girls eggs look the same at the moment), chances are it probably is, but poor lil girl must be struggling to push them out if she's not feeling too well

Attachments

• 20230430_125205.jpg
    20230430_125205.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom