Concerned Parent

So

the vet apt is today, I found an exotics vet about an hr & a half from me that was willing for an additional fee of course to see her before December. All local vets wouldn’t take new customers until January.
She’s alive & eating good still doing the 1ml of niacin a day & supervised swims twice a day but she can’t stand at all.

I'm happy to hear you found a vet.

Generally, the major cause of lameness in waterfowl is due to a deficiency in niacin (B3), since you're not seeing much improvement with the B complex, it seems the problem is not related to niacin, although, with a bird this age, improvement may take several weeks since their legs are more 'set in-place", and harder to correct.

Besides niacin problems, you often see septic arthritis, usually in young birds. Podermatsisis, Toxicosis, Mycoplasma, or trauma to the legs, among many more. I hope your vet is able to figure out the problem. Let us know how it goes.

I'm happy to hear you found a vet.

Generally, the major cause of lameness in waterfowl is due to a deficiency in niacin (B3), since you're not seeing much improvement with the B complex, it seems the problem is not related to niacin, although, with a bird this age, improvement may take several weeks since their legs are more 'set in-place", and harder to correct.

Besides niacin problems, you often see septic arthritis, usually in young birds. Podermatsisis, Toxicosis, Mycoplasma, or trauma to the legs, among many more. I hope your vet is able to figure out the problem. Let us know how it goes.
We did X-rays she’s swallowed what appears to be nails. Going to start some treatment fir the next two weeks & then if not a break the bank surgery to have them removed

How did the surgery go?
So I just received a call from the dr. They are about to start the surgery & wanted to warn me of the risk. They are going to try a less invasive approach initially but are worried that the tools they have are small enough to safely remove what ever in inside her. If not there is a more invasive option but for me cost is going to be a huge issue. I’ve already spent $1200 & just can’t afford much more. Fingers crossed this works & she does ok with the anesthesia. I’ll post as soon as I hear how things went

So I just received a call from the dr. They are about to start the surgery & wanted to warn me of the risk. They are going to try a less invasive approach initially but are worried that the tools they have are small enough to safely remove what ever in inside her. If not there is a more invasive option but for me cost is going to be a huge issue. I’ve already spent $1200 & just can’t afford much more. Fingers crossed this works & she does ok with the anesthesia. I’ll post as soon as I hear how things went
So three surgeries later because the first two that were meant to be less invasive didn’t work. The tool the we’re trying to use to grab the pins in her belly we’re just not long enough. They then explained to me that even if they were they wouldn’t have been able to remove them because they were embedded in the stomach lining. So third surgery was a success & my sweetie duck is alive & walking again. The toxins that the pins were putting into her blood stream were causing the paralysis

Back
Top Bottom