Concerned

girtengirl

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2016
Kentucky
Hello all, I have really enjoyed responses from everyone over the past year regarding other post I have read on BYC, so I have decided to join BYC myself. I have a rather large flock but new to keeping chickens. All of my birds are pets. Their only job is to look pretty on my farm and lay me some eggs. I have beautiful Black Australorp's that have a hatch date of January 29th and 30th. I have not received one egg to date. They are well cared for; Fed several times throughout the day, always fresh water, beautiful large coop, free range during day safely put away at night. Any suggestions how to get eggs faster or is it normal to take this long for hens to start laying. Sigh.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Hens start laying on average aged 20-25 weeks, but that is just an average. Some of them start sooner, some much later. It sounds like you are taking very good care of your flock, so you should be seeing eggs soon, hopefully!

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Since they free range, do you think that it may be possible that they are laying outside the coop? Its certainly not uncommon for new layers.

All the best
CT

I have checked the areas they roam and even fence line and wooded area they go to but nothing. Maybe I'm missing them.

Thank you so much for the link. I am almost sure that most causes do no apply to my flock. As they are very welled cared for because they are my pets with names and pretty much have a life of luxury for a chicken. Lol I have become disabled over the past seven months so I am with them a lot. They are more here for me than anything. I guess I just need to be patient and let nature take its course. Just so excited watching them grow and the entire chicken lifespan. My family told me when I bought the farm it will become a retirement home for critters, and yes they were right. Everything comes and nothing leaves. Lol

You're welcome
smile.png
I think they'll be ready soonish, they are well taken care off and they are old enough. Go on ladies! lol

I'm sorry to hear about your disability
hugs.gif
They are wonderful company, chickens. I've kept a few "therapy chickens" over the years and I've had wonderful experiences with my flocks. Some being those first eggs! I will never forget the day I got my first, I yelled so loud, my DH came running, thinking something was wrong! lol

Back
Top Bottom