Concerning an intestinal blockage

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Luminide, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Luminide

Luminide Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    Northeast Indiana
    Boris is a [jumbo?] pekin of about two years. I adopted him in November I believe from a member here on BYC along with a friend. For a few days now, I've noticed Boris' feces have become little more than white liquid. After some searching, I've decided that his symptoms and appearance match up with an intestinal blockage. However, I can't seem to find a lot of information about this in ducks. I live in north indiana- not exactly the most duck savvy place- and there is no avian vet that I know of in the area. So, I'm trying to handle this on my own if I can.

His mood is good. He wants to eat, wants to drink, is still very happy. I gave him a warm bath today and he was very energetic. It seemed to help some amount, as he voided about three times after the fact...there were only very small bits of solid waste, however. He has been given Canola oil in addition to the bath, which he drinks on his own right out of the cup. Food has been kept at a minimum, but he does eat sliced radishes and carrots every day.

Aside from seeking any advice anyone may have on how to treat this, I have a question about laxatives. I have both epsom salts and fresh-frozen plums- both I know can cause laxative effects. Would it be worth a shot to give him one or the other?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have not had to deal with this, but I can tell you there is this in the stickies.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213 about using laxatives to get rid of toxins.

I would not rule out parasites, or some kind of internal swelling.

Does he get grit? Sometimes eating anything other than crumbles or pellets without grit can cause a blockage, as can ingesting string.

Sorry to hear he's got something going on. Please keep us posted.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Why has food been kept at a minimum? and ducks can have all kinds of poop from kinda solid to very watery to all green depending on what they eat. But most duck poop is watery, He does need grit either store bought or access to outside so he can get it for himself. What do you mean by "wants " to eat wants to drink?

4. Luminide

Luminide Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    Northeast Indiana
    Thank you so much Amiga, you're always such a huge help.
    Since your post I've given him an epsom flush and some medication against parasites. He's passing small, firm amounts of 'normal' poo now between puddles of uric acid, so it seems to have helped a little.

I'll admit I've never given my ducks grit, as they're outside constantly and directly next to a fine-gravel driveway. I've seen them pick from it on many occasions. Perhaps Boris hasn't learned from the rest of the flock that that's where the grit is...I'll try giving him some separate in a bowl.

Miss Lydia, food is being kept at a minimum because it's going into his body, but not coming out. They do poop in all colors of the rainbow, but nothing but white for days is considerably unhealthy. And what I mean by 'wants' to eat and drink is just that- he's desiring food and water, though I'm keeping the latter from him due to him not passing waste.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm glad to hear he appears to be getting over it. Hoping he is back to his old self real soon.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good report, Luminide! I know you will keep a close watch on him. So hard to know exactly what's going on.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by