Concerning Loss of Appetite in Chick

Jikaaa

Chirping
Mar 11, 2022
FOLLOWING INFO
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
- Silkie Mix, 7 weeks old, Used to be the heaviest by a little
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
- Loss of appetite, Less activity
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
- 1 day
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
- Nope, just him
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
- None
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
- I have a hunch that it's Coccidiosis since it's prevalent in our backyard, but I also don't think so. I'm just very concerned and would like to hear the opinion of others if this is indeed a disease or just behavior changes
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
- My garden, Occasionally starter feed, Mainly grower feeds
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
- Normal, sometimes green (rip kale)
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
- Electrolytes, only available thing I have at the moment
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird till you can get to a vet?
- If possible I'd like to treat him myself, but if he requires vet help then please tell me :)
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
- No wounds and special condition
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
- Wooden coop with wood chips as bedding for the night and basically as their "house", but commonly in the daytime they're in my garden where there's soil

MORE INFO HERE

Hi I have a 7-week old Silkie Mix chick named Pouf. I suspect it to be male since it used to be aggressive and would puff up like a gamefowl trying to fight its siblings. They're at that stage—chick puberty, where they stop being affectionate (except his sister) and are becoming awkward growing teens.

USUAL BEHAVIOR
He's usually energetic and restless, like an 8 year old child in a park. He loved running around and jumping on everything(including me) and picking fights with his brothers. Three days ago, Pouf refused to be held and preferred to zoom around my garden for some reason, chasing away all the sparrows then looking at his siblings and me like a proud rooster-to-be who just fended off hawks from his flock.

I didn't get to monitor them as much for three days because finals were coming up

CURRENT BEHAVIOR
Today I have found him snug in my arms and (seemingly) inactive unlike his display of bravery and aggressiveness a few days ago. He lost quite a lot of weight and only eats a little, but he at least drinks water actively.

I've seen him lay down more and close his eyes as if he was tired and puff his feathers a bit, which wasn't like his usual let me just zoom everywhere and peck on your feet behavior. I managed to catch him pooping and saw green poo with some white stuff and pee. Nothing special except the color but I think that's because of them pecking at my plants and proceeding to spit them out afterwards. Except the curly kale, which they grew up with.

He, though thankfully, even stopped picking fights with his siblings. Only doing so when his siblings initiate, otherwise he's laying down slowly blinking and eventually napping. He used to be okay with carries but no cuddles, he would flail away from me when I carry him too close to my chest but now he's even stretching his neck on my arms.

CONCERNS
I'm very concerned since I just lost his younger siblings this morning (a later batch, 5 weeks old) to a slippery, unsuspected, and instant case of Coccidiosis. Woke up to all of them dead with bloody stool on the ground. Our backyard residents(chickens) also have a history of cocci(mostly the gamefowl) which was the reason why I never put Pouf and the gang there, now they're garden birds.

Only he seems to have become less active, his siblings also stopped being hyper chicks but are fine and move around much more than he does. Earlier when he laid in my arms I felt fast clicking(?) or like a fast heartbeat(?) from his throat, no nasal discharge. I tried smelling his breath in case of that respiratory disease that makes their breath pungent but he's clear on that.

Should I be worried? I feel like I'm overreacting because of the surprise deaths earlier but if anyone suspects a possibly early stage of any illness or knows what's going on please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_20221022_103848.jpg
    IMG_20221022_103848.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 40
I’m sorry your little one isn’t feeling well. Are you providing grit or are there small rocks in the garden they can use for grit? If chickens get anything other than feed they need some grit to help grind the bugs, greens and seeds. Sounds like you know that, but people forget sometimes.

Are there any poisonous to chickens plants in the garden?

If you suspect coccidiosis are you going to treat for that?

I’m sorry your little one isn’t feeling well. Are you providing grit or are there small rocks in the garden they can use for grit? If chickens get anything other than feed they need some grit to help grind the bugs, greens and seeds. Sounds like you know that, but people forget sometimes.

Are there any poisonous to chickens plants in the garden?

If you suspect coccidiosis are you going to treat for that?
I haven't started giving them grit but yeah there's small rocks in the garden

as for the plants. we have water spinach (they love to bully) rampant on the ground, eggplants, cherry tomato, curly kale, lettuce, pumpkins, and a calamansi tree I dont think they're toxic lol

I already bought a prevention-treatment water soluble available in my area. absolute horror to find out there's no Amprolium or Corrid in my hometown. If it is a case of Coccidiosis I think I would treat for it since it seems like an early case, not yet too severe

I haven't started giving them grit but yeah there's small rocks in the garden

as for the plants. we have water spinach (they love to bully) rampant on the ground, eggplants, cherry tomato, curly kale, lettuce, pumpkins, and a calamansi tree I dont think they're toxic lol

I already bought a prevention-treatment water soluble available in my area. absolute horror to find out there's no Amprolium or Corrid in my hometown. If it is a case of Coccidiosis I think I would treat for it since it seems like an early case, not yet too severe
The leaves of nightshades are toxic to chickens. Did you notice the chicks have been munching on the leaves of those plants? If not I suppose I’d treat for coccidiosis and get some chick grit and see how it goes. You can order amprolium online usually.

Back
Top Bottom