Concerning silkies, am I the only person in America

I never had plans to get any Silkies, but I got extra "bonus" eggs from someone I ordered from. (Who can stand NOT to try incubating a new type of egg when you're getting ready to set a bunch?!!! I know *I* can't.)

I hatched one little pullet from the couple extra silkie eggs he sent. She was an adorable little chickie, but not (as I'd heard the breed was like) extra docile or friendly. She was fine, very cute. My daughter loved her. She looks like something out of Dr. Seuss.

However, as she's grown, the little pouf of feathers on her head has gotten so thick that it's a wonder she can see at all. She's quite friendly now. She never comes running, but sidles over and picks around my feet when she realizes I'm there. She'll allow me to pick her up with no fuss at all, and will wrap her little toes around my fingers almost like a budgie. She sits with me until she notices I've lowered her down, and then she daintily steps back onto the ground (most of the time). Sometimes she seems to prefer the warmth of my hands.

It's my opinion that Silkies are so "docile" because they're often mostly blind.
lau.gif
Seriously, though, when you're keeping a bird calm, you keep it in a darkened place so it can't see. Even though I didn't order Silkie eggs, and had no intention of getting any Silkies to begin with, our little one won us over, I admit. I even purchased more (on purpose!), even though I'm half afraid of flying predator issues with vision-impaired little birdies.

I'll never raise any in quantity, but the idea of having a little broody or two to hatch eggs (of my main breed) for me is appealing. Hopefully, keeping one of the Silkie roos won't cause any problems (my other roosters don't seem to pay them any attention at all). We'll see.

I guess what I'm getting at is that they ARE sweet little birds with a high entertainment value. (We refer to our newest ones as Thing One and Thing Two.) Since I wasn't limited to just a few birds, it was fun for me to have them.

love.gif

I've never had any desire to get any silkies. Until I came here!

I realize now, that the thing I don't like about silkies is that I can't see their eyes! When I came here and saw pictures of tiny chicks, I thought they were adorable. Then I saw pictures of adults that had less feathering on their faces, so you could see their eyes, comb and wattles. I actually like them that way!

Now, my husband thinks silkies are kind of ugly. He also wonders why on earth anyone would breed a chicken with no feathers on it's neck. Of course, the first time I heard of showgirls, I had to send him pictures at work!
lol.png
I actually kind of liked the look of them, after I got over their, um, uniqueness. At least I can see their eyes.
wink.png

I like silkies... but... I have a different relationship with them... they are food. Black skin chicken soup!

I have a pet quality strain that has small crests and can see... but most of them get raised for food in the end. My favorite silkie was a buff roo and his appeal was all his short comings.
smile.png
Like thoes toy dogs. What good are they besides looking cute?

Silkies, naked necks and showgirls just don't appeal to me personally.
Same goes for poodles and most small dogs in general.
Same for certain kinds and makes of cars... no appeal to me.

Don't think for a minute that I'm knocking owners and enthusiests of any of the above. more power to them. I'm sincerely glad that there are people to care for them and spoil them, nothing wrong with that at all.... it's just not for me.

Quote:
Yep, it is true. Anything with high levels of connective tissue will be black/grey. The flesh itself is more or less normal colored. I wish my silkies were darker than they are though... since those do better on the market.

I fell in love with silkies the first time I saw them. I thought they were so adorable. Mine don't have naked necks. the hen doesn't have a bige top knot though so she sees fine. The rooster seems to see better out of one eye because his comb flops to one side. I hav trimmed the feathers away from that eye to help him. He really sees fine and loves to chase me around the yard like he is going to peck me alive. then I turn around and chase him. He really is a hoot. And my little hen is so sweet when she isn't setting. then she is rather ill.

I like having them because they can't fly. I have a cochin and she flies out of the pen sometimes.
TJ

Are you the only one? No.

I will be burned for a heretic, Im certain, but there is no way to sugar coat this: I get it when people love what they love. But I don't like Silkies.
They look like cotton balls with legs. Few things are as silly as a Silkie waggling around. They remind me of bagladies with too many things under their coats.

They dont have the attributes it takes to remain useful longterm. If we all had to fall back on poultry for our survival tomorrow, the Silkie would go the way of the Do-Do. Lucky for them, as long as there are hobby keepers there will be Silkies, or something like them - which classes them as fads. Other than being an oddity, I can't see them for looking. This goes in spades for Naked Necks.

Okay, I've said it. You Silkie lovers can now rat me out to the mods for 'divergence', have my chicken card revoked and pour the kerosene on the wood you've piled at my feet.

Quote:
Although i LOVE silkies the best, i know how you feel......I feel that way about the naked necks......I cannot understand how people dont think it is so ugly
idunno.gif

How can you call this ugly???
100_2356.jpg

lol
tongue.png

Yeah I can see why people think certain breeds are yuck...my personal unfavorites are Modern, Aseel, Shamos...those lanky skinny looking things.
smile.png

As far as Silkie I LOVE
love.gif
them...the bigger the poof the better!!

Back
Top Bottom