Concerning silkies, am I the only person in America

Quote:
Actually Turkens are a very old breed, bred by the Romans as meat birds. Their lack of feathers (they also have less on their bellies and throughout) made them easier to pluck. And they do lay very well and the eggs are large. great duel purpose breed.

Showgirls...well they are just adorable.
tongue.png

Naked Neck Polish...haha! That would be interesting.

My dream bird...a Long tailed bird with la Fleche comb, muffs and beard and feathered feet...lol.
Basically switch out Hiro's comb and I have them!

I've read that they do. Seems like it would be a problem in very cold, wet weather... can you imagine getting the foot feathers clumped with wet snow?

th.gif

Quote:
I don't think so...I've never given my Silkies special treatment. I know some people trim their crests so they can see...but I don't.

I wasn't sure about silkies until I saw this face.... Now I have three! I think they are great little birds. I'm more into the bantams than the standards so the girls fit right in with my flock.

P1010225.jpg

We had 3 silkies. We ate one. Now we have 2.

I hate the little whining bastages. The Silkie roo
is LOUD.

I can't help but hold and pet them. They are little
furballs. My heart loves them but the rest of me
just wants to make another pot of "Silkie Soup"

I use to think the same way, or more so about bantams in general, personally I prefer heavier egg laying types. But someone gave me some banty chicks and since I prefer bigger chickens I gave them to my mom, she ended up with 3 roosters and one hen, we gave two of the roosters away and she wanted more. I think the roo she kept may be a silky mix. So anyway after spending time here I've seen some really cute ones and sounds like they have some qualities I'd like, so now I've got 12 silky eggs in my incubator for my mom, and I'm thinking I'd like to keep one for myself, just have to deside what color!

I figure they've all got their places, I don't expect to get alot of eggs from mine and no plans to eat it, but hopefully she'll be a cute pet and help me hatch eggs in the future!

Im sure eveyone knows Ive been kidding all along. I DO think Silkies are a silly affectation, and I cant look at them and not go "...sheeesh! How goofy!"

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Now, Turkens/Naked Necks - thats another story!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww... you guys are scaring me! I am currently looking for a trio of white, red or partridge silkies. Actually I have a friend with three roos. I can get the roo(or all three for free-lol!) I'm wanting two hens for brooding and for pets. I've done my research and don't expect eggs. I have laying hens for that. Silkies are adorable to me and I like all dogs big or small btw. I hope to get them and enjoy them. They will be kept apart from my other chickens in a covered kennel to help keep their lil toesies in good shape. I would surely mess up with an incubator. I'd prefer to let mother nature do that job for me.

Quote:
Nice Post! It refreshing to see a mature post about the subject. Its nice that you were open minded and saw how cool they are
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom