Concerns about children's education

Quote:
lau.gif

It really, really bugs me when I ask someone if they would like something...food, drink, whatever, and they answer "sure"
I was always taught to say "Yes , please or No, thankyou" Makes me feel like I am forcing it onto them
roll.png

Quote:
*blush* Of all the times, all the topics, for me to make such a moronic typo... sheesh.

I totally hear you that what's IN it is more important than the date... absolutely, but I think at least mentioning that such a thing exists would be nice. As it is that's just not happening... they'll talk about bloody politics, this prez this and election that... thinking that 8 year olds NEED to know that, but they don't bother with teaching that the reason those elections even exist is because of this particular piece of paper. Boggles me.

True, you're right on target about those tests and it's about to get worse here. They're converting from the old TAKS system to the new STAAR system. Instead of reading, writing, math, science being alternately tested in different grades and then an exit level TAKS in high school required to graduate... instead kids will now have to take THREE state administered tests for each core subject... for English alone that means 12 state tests in your 4 years... Geometry, Algebra I & II... another 9 state exams.... Geography, Economics, Government... and so on and so on. Fail a test you fail the class and cannot graduate (though TAKS is already that way thank you Perry) no matter whether you made all A's on all assignments, quizzes and in class exams. And of course you still have to take your SAT and ACT to get into college as well. And to make sure this works all curriculum down to the 3rd grade level (minimum) will teach to the STAAR...

You know my cousin Josh attended a "Recognized" school from K-6... GREAT test scores. But he was NEVER taught cursive, was unable as a high school student to sign his name, because that's not on the TAKS so they can't WASTE time teaching it. Children who came from other schools, like my other cousin Stormy, who were taught cursive and had the audacity to use it were given a zero and not allowed to make up the work. The teacher refused to even read it, saw cursive wrote a zero, period.

Scares the crap out of me to think what else isn't being bothered with because it isn't tested for.

This is one more reason we're HSing now. In Texas only schools that receive state monies are forced to teach to these tests. Private schools are not at all required to. And in Texas homeschool is considered a private school. I can teach my kids all the same things taught in PS, plus a whole lot more, with no fear that if they fail a single test... get sick, injured, just having a bad day... that they'll be held back and forced to lose all their friends and a year's work as well.

Hmmm... tangent much?

"Ah for the good ole days when school was all about learning something"------------And the country had discipline! I think that is the key element missing in our society today.

Back
Top Bottom