Concerns with mating behavior

PBGGG

Songster
6 Years
Jun 17, 2013
Maine
Hi everybody. My flock of Indian Runner/Black Swedish is about 17 or 18 weeks old now. I have noticed in about the last week that one of the males has been head bobbing and trying to mount the female. She just swims away and after a few minutes he gives up. The problem is that I have 3m and only 1f and have been reading horror stories about males fighting to the death or even drowning the female and raping her. I have seen nothing in their behavior that scares me, so far, but I am afraid of what could happen. I saw a thread somewhere on here that suggested that it depends on the ducks themselves. Is this something that I just need to keep an eye on? I do spend a fair bit of time just sitting on the porch watching the flock because they are so entertaining. Thanks for any advice.

I should add that they are free all day.They are penned at night for 8 or 9 hours while we are asleep.

They will overbreed her and she might get seriously injured. They are still too young to display such behaviour but you should look out for it.

So, this is just early stages of mating then? I could try to get more females I suppose. I think separating them at night would be very difficult since they always stay very close together.

Separating them at night won't solve the problem. Separating them at day time would be a solution. I think that you should get more females definitely if you want to keep all 3 males.

I mentioned separating them at night because that is when they are penned. I just read something on a thread on this site that said ducks are nocturnal, which is why I thought a second pen for my poor girl might help. Thanks for your replies. Does anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing?

I'm having the same issue. Mine are also 18 weeks and the largest Rouen I have is showing that mating behavior but it's more like bullying. My ratio is off, I had 4 and 4 but a predator got one of the females. You would think the males would fight but it's one female that seems to be getting the worst treatment. She is what I would consider to be the alpha female if there is such a thing, she is a small Black Swedish and she just can't fight off this big guy. She has a Cayuga Drake that tries to help her out but I've decided he is a big wuss. I'm thinking about taking my 3 females and separating them day and night. I also have a Muscovy and Mallard Ducklings that are buddies and would need to intergrate them anyhow, starting with the females may be the way to go. I think I may need to rehome a couple of drakes, would rather get more ducks but there isn't anyone around that is selling.

Thanks for the response. I only see the bobbing when they are in their big pool. I have a smaller one that I keep in the pen for night swimming. So far only the 1 male has tried mounting her, and I have seen him bob and nip at only 1 of the other males. I guess little Gunter is my top duck and he wants to make sure everyone else knows. I also spoke with someone who runs a farm/rescue operation and he said even if I got more females, the lead duck would just more to choose from. He said in his experience he has never seen male ducks overbreed a female.

In the meantime I have just been trying to find some info on a new bizarre trait 2 of the males have begun displaying. When they are in the pool, they stetch their bodies up really tall and sort of look at their bellies while making a whistling sound. Oh man, I know this sounds nutty, but it's the best way I can describe it. I guess ducks are just a little weird. Other than that, they swim, groom, play, forage, etc. I love them!

Thanks for the response. I only see the bobbing  when they are in their big pool. I have a smaller one that I keep in the pen for night swimming. So far only the 1 male has tried mounting her, and I have seen him bob and nip at only 1 of the other males. I guess little Gunter is my top duck and he wants to make sure everyone else knows. I also spoke with someone who runs a farm/rescue operation and he said even if I got more females, the lead duck would just more to choose from. He said in his experience he has never seen  male ducks overbreed a female.

In the meantime I have just been trying to find some info on a new bizarre trait 2 of the males have begun displaying. When they are in the pool, they stetch their bodies up really tall and sort of look at their bellies while making a whistling sound. Oh man, I know this sounds nutty, but it's the best way I can describe it. I guess ducks are just a little weird. Other than that, they swim, groom, play, forage, etc. I love them!

The display is called a grunt-whistle a common display in Anas genus ducks.

Clint

Hello everyone, thanks for the responses!

We did end up getting more females, we actually have 10 ducks in all now, 7 females and 3 males. They are all doing great, except one of them kept getting picked on, so we brought her inside and she is now a house duck (she freaks out when we leave the room). All is well now, thanks again guys!

Back
Top Bottom