Concerns with New Layer

That's a beautiful egg! I hope this continues and she lays no more than one egg a day. I remember reading something about those spots in eggs. I called them blood spots, meat spots, etc. I'm not sure how accurate this is but I remember something about the chances of these spots in eggs that are laid by girls that experience more stress is higher, but please know that I am really not sure. Ironically, my hen that has egg problems is also a dark shelled egg layer. My curiosity about these spots has been piqued again.

I LOVE @aart OS container! I will definitely be checking out the post on that!

Good morning all. More good news. It seems her system IS getting itself worked out. This morning I found a single perfect dark brown egg in a nesting box! I haven't opened the egg yet to see about the spot (@HeatherKellyB), but I'll let you know.

20210109_195622238_iOS.jpg

The egg on the left is from my new layer, Opal, a Silver Cuckoo Marans. The egg on the right is from Rosa, one of my Rhode Island Reds who has been laying since late October.

By the way, this article is very helpful in discussing blood spots vs. meat spots. According to the article, a blood spot is typically seen on the egg yolk while a meat spot is found in the egg white. As such, I've been seeing meat spots, not blood spots. https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-hen-makes-egg-egg-oddities/

20201216_204148199_iOS.jpg

Opal, the Silver Cuckoo Marans (from Dec. 16, two weeks before she started laying)

Last edited:
Good morning all. More good news. It seems her system IS getting itself worked out. This morning I found a single perfect dark brown egg in a nesting box! I haven't opened the egg yet to see about the spot (@HeatherKellyB), but I'll let you know.

View attachment 2482655
The egg on the left is from my new layer, Opal, a Silver Cuckoo Marans. The egg on the right is from Rosa, one of my Rhode Island Reds who has been laying since late October.

By the way, this article is very helpful in discussing blood spots vs. meat spots. According to the article, a blood spot is typically seen on the egg yolk while a meat spot is found in the egg white. As such, I've been seeing meat spots, not blood spots. https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-hen-makes-egg-egg-oddities/

View attachment 2482667
Opal, the Silver Cuckoo Marans (from Dec. 16, two weeks before she started laying)
Thank you so much for the link to that article! Mally, has meat spots too, but it's more than any I've ever seen. It's worrisome whenever a bird has so many issues surrounding her eggs.
I am so happy to read this update on Opal! She sure is a beautiful girl. Here's hoping this continues and her system doesn't encounter any other issues as it adjust to making and laying eggs! Thank you for this update on her

Mally, has meat spots too, but it's more than any I've ever seen. It's worrisome whenever a bird has so many issues surrounding her eggs.

I'm sorry to hear that Mally has been having issues. I hope she's able to resolve it and if not that she remains happy and healthy.

Here's hoping this continues and her system doesn't encounter any other issues as it adjust to making and laying eggs!

I opened the egg to check, and no meat spots today. Of course it's no guarantee for the future, but it seems she has been able to get her system worked out and functioning without issues. I hope she is able to keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom