Concerns with New Layer

suburbanjungle

Chirping
Sep 10, 2020
SF Bay Area, CA
Hi all, I have 13 chickens, of which my four oldest (two leghorns and two rhode island reds) have been giving me eggs regularly every day since late October.

This past Sunday I found two brown speckled little eggs in the nest. I was pretty excited that one of the younger girls had started and had found the nest to lay them. The eggs were almost identical in color so it made me think it came from the same chicken and maybe I had missed one the day before. Both had soft shells. Upon opening the larger one, I found a small blood clot, but the rest of the egg seemed normal. The smaller egg had almost no egg white and the egg yolk appeared mottled white. I'm not sure which of the girls had laid these eggs. The most likely is a silver cuckoo marans, but her comb and waddle didn't appear to be as large or ready as I had thought she would need to be.

Two days later, on Tuesday, I found two more brown speckled eggs. One was in the nest and one had been dropped in the pen. The shells were harder this time, but the characteristics of the inside of each was consistent with the two from Sunday. At that point it seemed likely that it was the same girl laying two eggs in one day, the larger coming first and the smaller one coming second.

After doing some research I found that it can happen with younger chickens as their body gets used to laying eggs. (http://www.spottedcowpress.ca/chapters/02FemaleAnatomy.pdf)

My concern, though, is that I haven't seen any eggs from her since Tuesday. I have looked all over the pen and through the coops, but no little brown speckled eggs. I have also looked for signs of crushed eggs, but nothing. While I might be a little impatient, I'm just being overly cautious. Since she has already had some problems laying eggs, I just want to be sure that the next one (or two) hasn't become stuck in the oviduct. It doesn't seem that any of the girls are in distress (since I still don't know for sure which one had laid the two double eggs), but I want to be sure I know what to look for if it does develop in the next day or so. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

I have 13 chickens, of which my four oldest (two leghorns and two rhode island reds) have been giving me eggs regularly every day since late October.
How old are they all in weeks or months?

I'm not sure which of the girls had laid these eggs. The most likely is a silver cuckoo marans, but her comb and waddle didn't appear to be as large or ready as I had thought she would need to be.
It's really hard to say who laid the funkies.

You might need to stalk the nests to catch them in the act before panicking.
Some exams may be in order.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Multiple feeders/ports, and OS holders, are always a good thing.
3 ports(or more) for 13 birds would be good....adjust the height, or use bricks for steps, for smaller birds.

I made two of these for OS and egg shells:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/oyster-plastic-jar.7897731/
full

This was VERY helpful. I was able to examine the Silver Cuckoo Marans (Opal). Her vent was exposed and wet and the pelvic bones were separated, so she is very likely the one. She also performed the squat for me for the first time when I set her back down.

The other one I wanted to check is the Olive Egger (Olive) as her comb and wattle indicate she's ready or almost ready, but she was pretty elusive, and I'll have to try again later.
I do all exams off the roost at night after dark, wearing a headlight.
They are much easier to 'catch' then.

So Opal is older than the listed?

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

It'd be a really good idea to get some Calcium Citrate + Vit D3 to have available. Since you have some already laying, I'm guessing you have oyster shell (or crushed egg shell) available to them to use as needed. If you discover which one is laying these soft shelled eggs, it wouldn't hurt to give her a calcium citrate. Some girls just need more than others. I was advised to keep this calcium citrate on hand to give my one hen that is prone to laying multiple eggs and soft shelled single eggs, one daily until her eggs are properly shelled. Too much calcium for a bird that doesn't need it can be harmful, so that's why it's best to figure out who's laying these eggs. You're doing such a great job keeping on top of this and getting to the bottom of it. @aart is extremely knowledgeable. She's helped me figure things like this out countless times. I'm so grateful for her and have no doubt that she'll have the information to help you figure this out

Opal is 24 weeks old. She's the first one on the list of the younger birds.

I have a variety of foods for them.
  • Layer pellets in a double access bucket (rent-a-coop version)
  • Grower crumbles in a single access tube (rugged ranch version)
  • Daily half cabbage on a pecking string
  • Shells, grit, and oyster shells 3-4 times a week
  • Scratch 3-4 times a week
Which of those two feeds get eaten up faster?
I just feed a 20% all flock with OS in a separate feeder.
No treats except for daily minimal scratch while cleaning coop.

How do you feed this to your chicken? And just the one?
It's tablets. I open her beak by pulling down on her wattles and gently put it on the back of her tongue, release wattles and make sure it went down the hatch. I usually follow up with a raisin or two to make sure it's down and to give her a treat so she doesn't hate me. Yes, I give her one tablet per day until her eggs are properly shelled again. It's usually a couple of days and things are normal again.
20201204_182551.jpg

20201204_182605.jpg

It's usually a couple of days and things are normal again.

Thanks! That's helpful. Her second set were considerably harder, so I want to see what she lays next. I think it's just that her body hasn't fully matured and she's not producing them properly. I'm hoping that things get cleared up, but I want to keep an eye on her. I'll check on the calcium just in case. Like @aart I personally don't jump to drugs or supplements until needed, but I also don't want to be too late.

Back
Top Bottom