Two eggs laid in one day?

sherrylb1

Chirping
Sep 28, 2020
I have only one Easter Egger hen in my backyard flock of four hens so she is the only one who lays anything besides tan or white eggs. She is roughly three years old so she isn’t a new layer. Her eggs are always the pale green, full sized egg as shown. Both of these eggs were collected today, from the same egg box. I check my egg boxes daily (several times a day because I’m a little obsessed with it lol) so I know for a fact both of these eggs were laid today. I searched threads here as well as searching elsewhere. I see that it is possible, although not really “normal”, for a hen to lay two eggs in one day. I have also read about “fart eggs”. Do you think that is what has happened here…a two egg day for her with one of them being a fart egg?? 🤔🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
It is somewhat normal for a hen to lay a regular size and looking egg and then lay a fart or fairy egg. The fart egg probably doesn’t have a yolk.
There’s nothing to worry about and your hen will be just fine. ☺️

2 fully shelled eggs in a single 24 hour period is rare, but not impossible(tho I've never had it happen here).

I have only one Easter Egger hen in my backyard flock of four hens so she is the only one who lays anything besides tan or white eggs. She is roughly three years old so she isn’t a new layer. Her eggs are always the pale green, full sized egg as shown. Both of these eggs were collected today, from the same egg box. I check my egg boxes daily (several times a day because I’m a little obsessed with it lol) so I know for a fact both of these eggs were laid today. I searched threads here as well as searching elsewhere. I see that it is possible, although not really “normal”, for a hen to lay two eggs in one day. I have also read about “fart eggs”. Do you think that is what has happened here…a two egg day for her with one of them being a fart egg?? 🤔🤷‍♀️
I got my 3 10 month old ISA brown hens on Dec 1 and within 2 weeks was getting 3 eggs a day even though it's winter with the exception of 2 days. Like you I check several times a day so I know which eggs belongs to which hen. So when there were only 2 this past Tuesday I knew Shy had skipped a day but wasn't worried. Then today I got 4! I'm a newbie so all this is new to me.

Attachments

• 20240301_113808.jpg
    20240301_113808.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom