Not laid in years but wants to

Try giving her a human calcium citrate supplement daily
I just looked this up for chickens and I don’t think this will do any good since she no longer is laying. Maybe I worded my post wrong, is she broody ? Should I put fake eggs in nesting box for her ?

I just looked this up for chickens and I don’t think this will do any good since she no longer is laying. Maybe I worded my post wrong, is she broody ? Should I put fake eggs in nesting box for her ?
It wouldn’t hurt to put some fake eggs there to see what she does, does she act all puffed up and clucking? Even if she doesn’t I say try the fake eggs.

Whoa! This doesn't sound like a hen trying to lay an egg. This sounds more like a hen who wants to hatch eggs.
Lots of elderly hens who no longer lay eggs do this. Some keepers keep such hens especially for brooding and hatching.
I think what she wants is some eggs, not calcium citrate.

It wouldn’t hurt to put some fake eggs there to see what she does, does she act all puffed up and clucking? Even if she doesn’t I say try the fake eggs.
Yes it would hurt putting some fake eggs in the nest for her.
She may just try to sit and hatch them and obviously they are not going to hatch and she will lose weight and not get the excercise she needs etc etc.

No. She'll get over it in all probability. If she sits for a couple of hours and dreams of hatching chicks, then let her be.
What you want to avoid is her sitting full time.

Whoa! This doesn't sound like a hen trying to lay an egg. This sounds more like a hen who wants to hatch eggs.
Lots of elderly hens who no longer lay eggs do this. Some keepers keep such hens especially for brooding and hatching.
I think what she wants is some eggs, not calcium citrate.
That’s what I was thinking also

Back
Top Bottom