Concerns with New Layer

Tho I have tried Calcium Citrate with VitD-3 on a long term softie layer(it didn't help),
I'm pretty slow to start with supplements.
This is helpful to know. So happy to be on this thread. I learn something every day! I've only used it for my one hen that's always had shell issues. She lays really rough shelled eggs, soft shelled eggs, and everything in between. She tends to have a lot of meat spots in almost every egg too. The calcium citrate does work well for her. She actually had to get one tonight because she's been spending more time than usual in the nesting box (not broody) and her shell was very light in color (probably nothing to do with calcium, but this egg was just not normal) and thin.

Thanks! That's helpful. Her second set were considerably harder, so I want to see what she lays next. I think it's just that her body hasn't fully matured and she's not producing them properly. I'm hoping that things get cleared up, but I want to keep an eye on her. I'll check on the calcium just in case. Like @aart I personally don't jump to drugs or supplements until needed, but I also don't want to be too late.
It certainly won't hurt to have it just in case. I completely understand and respect that you don't want to jump to interventions too quickly. I also admire you for looking into something before it becomes a problem. You're girls are lucky to have you!

I just put more oyster shell out in a new feeder rather than just spreading some out a few times a week so that the younger girls can access them when the older girls tire and walk away.

Opal isn't doing the penguin walk, and she took to the oyster shells right away. She also paused a couple of times which I think was just her checking in on her own body. She also went over to the double header feed bucket for pellets, so she is eating fine. From all I've read today, it seems she isn't egg bound right now. I'm hoping her body is just adjusting and that she'll start a normal egg laying cycle soon.

Thanks again all!

Okay, good news. It appears she did lay a single egg today, so the worry was for naught so far. I haven't found a second egg around. She laid it inside her sleeping coop, so I think there is some bullying going on and she's afraid to use the nesting boxes. The shell was not soft, but there was still a small blood clot. It's a step in the right direction.

20210109_015821633_iOS.jpg
20210109_015907223_iOS.jpg

That's a beautiful egg! I hope this continues and she lays no more than one egg a day. I remember reading something about those spots in eggs. I called them blood spots, meat spots, etc. I'm not sure how accurate this is but I remember something about the chances of these spots in eggs that are laid by girls that experience more stress is higher, but please know that I am really not sure. Ironically, my hen that has egg problems is also a dark shelled egg layer. My curiosity about these spots has been piqued again.

I LOVE @aart OS container! I will definitely be checking out the post on that!

Good morning all. More good news. It seems her system IS getting itself worked out. This morning I found a single perfect dark brown egg in a nesting box! I haven't opened the egg yet to see about the spot (@HeatherKellyB), but I'll let you know.

20210109_195622238_iOS.jpg

The egg on the left is from my new layer, Opal, a Silver Cuckoo Marans. The egg on the right is from Rosa, one of my Rhode Island Reds who has been laying since late October.

By the way, this article is very helpful in discussing blood spots vs. meat spots. According to the article, a blood spot is typically seen on the egg yolk while a meat spot is found in the egg white. As such, I've been seeing meat spots, not blood spots. https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-hen-makes-egg-egg-oddities/

20201216_204148199_iOS.jpg

Opal, the Silver Cuckoo Marans (from Dec. 16, two weeks before she started laying)

Last edited:
How old are they all in weeks or months?

I have a spreadsheet where I've tracked them all and calculates their ages. They are all older than 18 weeks and getting close to laying age. Other than the four I know are laying:
  1. Blue Fauvacana: 24 weeks (likely blue eggs)
  2. Silver Cuckoo Marans: 24 weeks (likely brown to dark brown eggs)
  3. Partridge Olive Egger: 24 weeks (likely brown or olive eggs)
  4. Blue Laced Red Wyandotte: 22 weeks (likely brown eggs)
  5. Partridge Cochin: 22 weeks (likely brown eggs)
  6. Salmon Favorelle: 22 weeks (likely cream eggs)
  7. Gold Laced Wyandotte: 20 weeks (likely brown eggs)
  8. Two Mille Fleur d'Uccle Bantams: 20 weeks (likely tiny cream eggs)

This was VERY helpful. I was able to examine the Silver Cuckoo Marans (Opal). Her vent was exposed and wet and the pelvic bones were separated, so she is very likely the one. She also performed the squat for me for the first time when I set her back down.

The other one I wanted to check is the Olive Egger (Olive) as her comb and wattle indicate she's ready or almost ready, but she was pretty elusive, and I'll have to try again later.

Which of those two feeds get eaten up faster?

The crumbles, definitely. It has concerned me since it was grower crumbles, and I had planned to switch to layer crumbles next. (This weekend.) Also, the pellets are new this past feed instead of layer crumbles in the double headed feeder, so they aren't used to them yet. The single tube was setup when I removed the small pullet feeders because the double headed feeder is up too high for the bantams to reach. The tube is just the right size for them. The others have to lean in slightly to eat out of the tube.

I just feed a 20% all flock with OS in a separate feeder.

Too new to fully understand that. Sorry. :) 20% calcium? OS = oyster shell?

Good morning all. More good news. It seems her system IS getting itself worked out. This morning I found a single perfect dark brown egg in a nesting box! I haven't opened the egg yet to see about the spot (@HeatherKellyB), but I'll let you know.

View attachment 2482655
The egg on the left is from my new layer, Opal, a Silver Cuckoo Marans. The egg on the right is from Rosa, one of my Rhode Island Reds who has been laying since late October.

By the way, this article is very helpful in discussing blood spots vs. meat spots. According to the article, a blood spot is typically seen on the egg yolk while a meat spot is found in the egg white. As such, I've been seeing meat spots, not blood spots. https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-hen-makes-egg-egg-oddities/

View attachment 2482667
Opal, the Silver Cuckoo Marans (from Dec. 16, two weeks before she started laying)
Thank you so much for the link to that article! Mally, has meat spots too, but it's more than any I've ever seen. It's worrisome whenever a bird has so many issues surrounding her eggs.
I am so happy to read this update on Opal! She sure is a beautiful girl. Here's hoping this continues and her system doesn't encounter any other issues as it adjust to making and laying eggs! Thank you for this update on her

Back
Top Bottom